1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chandamama

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Apr 4, 2019.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

This one cracked me up! :facepalm:
    upload_2019-4-4_15-19-28.png

Thyagarajan and GeetaKashyap like this.
  2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I almost missed this nugget amidst the wonderful details. How exciting! From what I have seen of your art you have done him proud. :number_one:

Thanks for the nostalgia trip. I read my fair share of Chandamama's along with the usual Tinkles, Targets and Amar Chitra Kathas. Luckily I had my books bound into thick volumes which my mom preserved. I lugged them from back home and I am glad I took the trouble because my son loves reading them. It is fun to hear his very American take on the stories and the innocent questions that arise in his mind due to the missing cultural context! : )

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Nice memoirs!'ambuli mama' in Tamil attracted us all.We prepared quiz questions from the stories and amazed even elders.On many days my sister used to hide the magazine somewhere under hay stack or behind the heap of coconut sheaths.It so happened that she was bitten by a scorpion while tracing the book back.Without realisng the seriousness all cousins laughed and said that she deserved the bite.It was the last day that she kept the magazine hidden.Childhood memories are sweet.
    jayasala 42

GeetaKashyap and kaniths like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Geetha,
    Nostalgia!!!!!!
    We four children used to fight for Chandamama who should read it first.
    My father's friend used to get them bound yearwise and gift to children.
    In a town called Vetapalem, near Guntur, there is an old library which has many archives of old magazines.... Chandamama, Balamitra, Bala.... My cousin did her PhD in children's literature. She went to Vetapalem... stayed there for someday to collect material.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Geeta,This was an awesome write up which made me to go back to my childhood memories . The summer vacation with cousins and family was very memorable .
    Thanks for sharing the link for chandamama and I wish I could read it for my little one.

I still remember whenever we used to travel by train during vacation we had to board from Majestic station Bangalore.I used to first go and search in the book stalls for Tinkle Digest and throughout my journey would be reading this book

And as @sharv said,I used to eagerly wait for the Deccan Herald for Saturday edition just Open sesame which had lots of puzzles,riddles, Coloring by joining dots. Find the difference between the two:blush: .

It also used to publish the paintings done by kids at different age group and level . I used to try drawing from those.
    I learnt my first tongue twisters from Open sesame.
    "Betty brought a bit of bitter,the bit of butter was bitter so Betty brought a better butter to make the bitter butter better"
    "She sells sea shells on the sea shore"

And I used to learn this and go to school and proudly say I know this do you guys know ?:lol:

Thanks for this post as these memories are always cherished.

shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Yes me too!
    Regards.
    God created Himsel in those days through AMBULIMAMA for me.

Mistt and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shravs,

Nice to read about your childhood memories. These magazines meant a whole universe, isn't it? I remember Open Sesame from Deccan Herald; it was such a delight! On chandamama.in you get a few editions to read and relive those days.

shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. GeetaKashyap

9. GeetaKashyap

Thanks for the generous compliments, dear Gauri.

It is so nice that you still have those books with you and your son enjoys them. My husband has a large collection of comics bound in thick volumes but my son was never into reading and those books are yellowing but still safely sitting in the bookshelf!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:What a painstaking nostalgic blog that at once transport to readers teens hailing from South India! Kudos to authoress copreka mittai!
    Mere glancing of colourful illustrations of CM wrapper itself would render the reader vicarious time.
    2. I had huge collection of tamil version of Chandamama gathered over a period of twelve long years which later I bounced and kept for re reading. Yes I did read it several times notwithstanding summer holidays train journeys or trip to village. It was treated by my sister and I as treasure along with similar tamil and English comics.

3. Of course I could seldom enjoy the fresh print flavour of AMBULIMAMA as always we could lay hands only on second hand but it was available from platform vendors for a pittance! I collected old editions published since 1940s READERS’ digest Too in this manner and held it close to heart for almost four decades.
    Thanks for providing timely seasonal Nostalgia.
    Regards with kind remembrances.
    GOD LOVES TESTAMENTS OLD & new as well.

GeetaKashyap likes this.