1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chalo Dilli......Chapter one

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Yogitharaman, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Yogitharaman

Yogitharaman New IL'ite

Chapter one

I tiptoed my way through the still human forms spread on the floor much like the withered leaves at the end of autumn.Only they didnt awaken the sense of admiration that scenic beauty of shred autumn leaves generally do. Instead, it filled me with disgust as i barely balanced myself finding my way through men,women and children lying in varying degrees of flexure positions of arms and legs.No ! Iam not visiting a post -war scene nor am i reporting from Tsunami stricken area in Japan. Iam merely travelling by Karnataka Express that ferries passengers from Bangalore to Delhi.In a reservation sleeper class compartment at 4 :15 am, the sight that greeted me was shocking. Carefully calculating my footing i landed on the floor from my upper berth,missing a women's toe by a whisker.

My friend's voice ringed through my ears as i recollected his words." Dont tell me you are travelling by Karnataka Express,it is one of the worst trains", At that time,i thought he was talking about overall cleanliness,coach seats etc. Bless you friend ! May your night be filled hiccups . Attending nature's call became an effort as people were sprewed even near the toilet doors. I made it a point to bring this to the notice of the railway authorities first thing in the morning. "As if it would do some good" cried my inner voice. Whatever ! Phew !

We had started from Bangalore last evening around 7 : 20 pm.I am travelling with Saras chitti ( aunt), Alagar chittappa( uncle) ,nephew Sabari,neice Veda who is my own sis's daughter and another niece Vandana. Like many of you who would ve travelled by train, we too got the seat numbers wrong initially. Once we reached our assigned seats, there were chaos over Veda's missing foot wear which apparently was left behind under the seats we first sat. Heated discussions poured over who is to blame----the person who got the seat number wrong, Veda who dropped her foot wear, the person who was in charge of luggages among us, the Eldest of all who was tailing the children and so on. Finding the misplaced property finally put the debate to rest, the debate which was now turning in to a full fledged husband wife Knok-Jhonk between Chitti and chittappa.

We set about unpacking the bundles of idli and lemon rice that my mom had packed for our dinner.When i mentioned the want of something crispy like chips to go along with lemon rice, chittappa took of at chitti as to how she couldn't remember to pack the boondi mixture that was lying invitingly on the dining table at home.The pati patni knok jhonk continued as if it had never stopped.Lovely couple that they are,i find it amusing that even after 35 years of togetherness,they enjoy pulling each other's legs and keeping scores.I smiled to myself and shook my head as chittapa's monologue ended a smug grin of satisfaction. I am one up he seemed to say !

Having decided to join the trip later, my ticket reservations were in a different coach and i set off trying to find the TT for an exchange of seat. Although the young TT fell prey to our charming manners, it was soon evident that he couldn't do much as he was pressed with more issues like RACs, waiting class passengers etc.He suggested i wait in my respective coach,get the ticket checked there and then find somebody who can mutually exchange seats.I heeded to his advise,got my ticket checked in my coach.My requests from co passengers went unanswered as most of them were either travelling with friends and family of their own or had heavy luggage that were difficult to move around.Finally, Veda's umbilical cord bonding came as a blessing when she refused to sleep in a berth alone without mommy dearest.Therefore, while akka and Veda snuggled against each other in the middle, the upper one was free for me.

I decided to call it a day as i enveloped sleep.......much needed sleep after a hectic day of work, travel, chaotic start and a tummy full with delicious home cooked food. Good night people !!! :)