1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Challenges working full-time being a Mom

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by manju_j, May 1, 2005.

1. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Hi Kavya,

You did the right thing. I know how it is to have Toddler in the day care. They fall sick often, and you can't take day offs bonkbonk and poor kid has to go through all these. Believe me, you did the right thing.

Weekend MBA program is a great option to keep you busy. Atleast you are doing something (not sitting ideally) and keeping in touch with your studies.

Great going :thumbsup. All the best.

2. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

It is so interesting to read all your posts, the reason, none of the women in this thread regretted quitting job or face a hard day every day!!..

and i'm not an exception to this.. iMy first job was a part time job where i worked 32hrs / week, had a mid-week off and worked saturdays.

I had to take off the entire first week in my job as she fell sick with ear infection. With spouse having a extreme traveling in his job , i was left with zero choices, i did take 1 week off to get her back to normal. -- i was dying of guilt when i had to drop her back in day care. Felt like i was the worst mom ever and cursed myself, but i had to do something in life and not sit idle..

Now, i'm glad i made that decision to join the work force. Time flies - she's 4 now! but my little bundle forever!!..

One thing for sure, these 4 years has taught me a lot more things in life. I probably might have missed them , had i made a decision to stay at home. ofcourse, cannot deny that being a home maker is a tougher and busier job ( or should i say priceless service!!) than anything out in the world . It is not a role/job offered but "taken with smile & passion , expecting nothing in return."

Balancing my time and responsibilites is making me a better person, wife & a better mom everyday

Thanks for such a nice thread malar!

3. iyerrekha

iyerrekha New IL'ite

hi
    i guess this is the first time i am posting on this site, and the fact that i have chosen this thread explains why i am short of time. my son is 3, since he was 6 mths, i have been leaving him with a baby sitter at home (no relatives to help out). son is happy he has started school 2 mths ago, prob is food, sitter says he has meals with her, but he is very fussy when my husb or i feed him. at the end of the day i have no energy ( i come home at 7-9 ) to play with him or run behind him, as i got to make dinner, clean up etc. is stubbornness common at this age

4. Neesha

Neesha Senior IL'ite

Hi Rekha

I sympathise with you since I am also a working mum. Fortunately my hours are not as long. I'm home by 5pm.
    However your child is not stubborn - he needs the love, time and attention of his parents, who he doesn't see the whole day and the only time he's getting it is when it's feeding time. So obviously he's going to make the most of the time instead of just keeping quiet and eating.
    We work so hard because we want to give the best to our children however children would want their parents time instead of goodies if they really had a choice.
    When you get home don't rush into cooking, cleaning etc. - spend some time with your child - half an hour undivided attention with your child - will make him relax, stop his clingingness- thereafter settle him into an activity in the kitchen while you cook.
    You have to also think in the long term as to how you can ease the pressure on you. When I come home until the time the kids sleep is their time. Therafter you can plan for the next day. Think of reducing your hours, getting some help with cleaning etc.

Before you know it his childhood will pass and he won't need you as much. Don't have any regrets and guilt later.

Check what tips other working mums have to make life easier.

Good luck. Take care
    Neesha

5. njoylife

njoylife New IL'ite

Enjoyed reading this thread...I am able to relate to almost all of you here.. My son is almost 1 yr old, and I resumed work when he was 5 mos old. We used to have a stay-at-home babysitter until he was 8 months old. She used to take care of him very well, only problem is she was over protective - in the sense - she wouldn't tell us if there is a problem, if the baby is ill or being fuzzy etc.
    So we stopped her services and luckily got a very good daycare. He enjoys going there - or so it seems - he is happy when we drop him and he is happy when we pick him up... I dont feel guilty for putting him in day care, though I do feel guilty for not being able to spend a lot of time with him...
    I never thought that having a baby could be so taxing, and would change one's lifestyle so much... Reading some of your posts, I am scared about the years ahead...
    One good thing about all this is, I appreciate and adore my mom much more than what I used to...Bow

6. chad

chad Silver IL'ite

This is called the time management...its really tough job handling the kid and Job..make protize the things and share the house hold work between youself and u r mother - in law and ask u r husband to teach some time and then once u r cooking is done then take the honour..hope it will help u...Where therez will therz way...:)

7. SPatel2008

SPatel2008 Senior IL'ite

Hey Shivani,

well, my situation is somewhat similar to yours except I am London. I am also a full time working mum and reach home by 6 pm and my little son is at pre school and will join full time school this sept. Even though currently he doesnt need to be taught - having him on preschool solves the issue of me worrying about his development. at moment he can write 1-20 and all alphabets and lots of other stuff so that's less for me to worry however the teachers do insist i teach him at home but i hardly get time and have energy once i am home.
    But from september onwards am going reduce my working hours- mainly as i know i'll need some time for my little son and to manage work life balance. On other side my inlaws to try to teach him basic stuff at home too so that helps.
    i dont know if this helps and if you can reduce your working hours too but if you cannt then you can possibly use the weekends to help with your son's studies