1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chaithanya

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

The feeling of “I” and “Mine” has caused considerable amount of pain and suffering to the humanity. When the feeling of “I” boosts our ego, the feeling of “Mine” develops attachment. We belong to the exclusive club and we like uniqueness in presenting ourselves and exclusivity in possessing things. Even in casual conversations, we mention that we like something unique about a particular person. In businesses, people do ask “What is your unique business proposition?” or “What are the differentiators?” I have heard people talk about their collectibles passionately that there are only 50 unique pieces made. When men talk about what is so unique about their cars, mobile phones, watches, etc., women talk about their jewelries, designer dresses, hand bags, etc.

When we refer to our body or mind, we ask, “My body is hurting” or “my mind is cluttered”. Who is “My’ here in this statement is often not understood by us because we don’t seriously inquire “Who am I?” as suggested by Bhagawan Ramana. We also passionately refer to our spouse and children as “My wife/husband” and “My children”. If we are not this body or mind and then who are we? When we refer to as “My”, what are we referring to? We fail to understand that our body and mind are transient and tools that are gifted to us for one life time similar to our spouse and children.

[FONT=&quot]Bhagawan Sri Ramakrishna said “The feeling of ‘I and mine’ has covered the Reality. Because of this we do not see Truth. Attainment of Chaitanya (Divine Consciousness), is not possible without the knowledge of Advaita (Non-duality). After realizing Chaitanya one enjoys Nityananda (Eternal Bliss). One enjoys this Bliss after attaining the state of a Paramahamsa”.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If we find the Truth, we become righteous and if we become righteous, we understand the power of love. If we love every life around us, we achieve peace and if we achieve peace, we understand the value of non-violence. But how do we find the Truth? Maya is clouding the bright light that emanates from the Truth. If we remove the veil of Maya such as “I” and “Mine”, the Truth will be revealed. Many take the path of worshiping the power of divinity in different names and forms but duality continues as long as we have the concept of “divinity over there and I am over here”. It helps us to discipline the mind but eventually we have to realize that power of divinity is omnipresent and whatever is helping the conditions of the nature (Macrocosm) is also helping the individual life (Microcosm). Can we study the scriptures and make our way to understand the Truth? Well, we can investigate to find the Truth in the scriptures but again it is limited by our own comprehension.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Unless one experiences the Truth, one can’t comprehend it. Our life consist of set of tools such as Body, Mind and Intellect (“BMI”) and series of experiences would become a waste unless there is a bundle of principles evolving out of the tools and experiences. Experiences are invaluable only if we get the lessons out of them. We have to move away from exclusivity and uniqueness into inclusivity and expansiveness. We have to sanctify our thoughts, words and actions understanding this inclusivity and expansiveness. Life of ours is created for a reason and that is to learn Truth and the only way to accomplish that is to experience and recognize it.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The education has no value unless it produces results for the welfare of the community around us. Going to the place of worship dressed up well and listen to the sermons is meaningless unless we recognize the sufferings of the people living on our way and do something about it. Hands that serve is holier than the lips that pray. We need to narrow down our mind to focus on the welfare of the community and expand our heart to feel and help the people in need. Shrugging of uniqueness and exclusivity to feel and experience the Truth and get on Chaithanya by seeing the oneness of all creations is the purpose of life.[/FONT]

5 people like this.
  2. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Viswamitra ,

Very deep and thought provoking write up on Chaithanya, Self, Advaitham and Universal Love.

Enjoyed reading them!

1 person likes this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    You have taken a great topic for discussion and as expected of Viswa,
    many elaborations have been made.The word Chaitanya is a complex philosophy to explain.
    Very often we are advised to understand the'self' and ignore'I' and 'mine'.The fine discrimnation between'SELF' and' I' , and the difference between moving away from'exclusiveness' and getting into 'inclusivity'are very difficult things to explain unless you are somewhat trained in spirituality.
    Ramana's quest into'self' is very interesting.
    " Just as the pearl diver ties a stone to his waist,sinks to the bottom of the sea and takes out the pearls,so each one of us should be ATTACHED TO NON ATTACHMENT,dive within oneself and obtain the Self-Pearl or Chaitanya.
    It appears contradictory-the expression getting attached to non attachment.
    Leave alone the unintelligible expressions like Chaitanya, maya, exclusiveness, inclusivity -very difficult to follow.
    For an ordinary lay man how can we express such things.
    Here is a poem which I have read in school. The poem is in Hindi written by poetess Subadra Kumari Chowhan.
    She depicts herself as a poor beggar going to the temple.The poem is 'Tukra Do ya pyar karo'
    The poem runs thus:'Bagvan,many people come to the temple in great pomp, wearing beautiful dresses. They decorate you with elegant dresses and costly ornaments. But I am a beggar. I have been brave enough to enter the temple with empty hands.I don't even have ordinary flowers.
    I am not endowed with a melodious voice. I can's sing Bhajans or Kirtans. I am uneducated and don't know to recite slokas. I don't know how to worship.
    Bagvan, treat me as worship and pooja materials. I submit myself before you. Treat me as pooja and pujarin.Take my love as neivedya offering. I have nothing else to offer except my love. If you desire accept them or reject them. Even your rejection I accept as your grace.
    A great philosophy of love, surrender,and total annihilation of'I' in the simplest term possible.
    What better expression do we need for love,advaitha siddhantha ?
    Even after 60 years the poem is still reverberating.
    Ramakrishna Paramahamsa practised what Ramana preached
    Viswa,
    I wonder how you relate everything into the domain of Advaitha Siddhantha and BMI.which seem Greek and Lain to many of us.

You deserve rich accolades for entangling every one of ordinary mortals like us into the net of 'philosophy'. Now it is our bounden duty to get hold of our Guru Viswa and try to elevate ourselves to a higher plane within our limits,

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear @Suryakala,

Thank you for your first response and appreciation. I always value your feedback.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

How can I accept a stalwart who had spent many years studying scriptures as ordinary mortal? In fact, I learn more from your responses. Frankly, I know my limitations and whatever I write is to elicit responses from stalwarts like you. This kind of interaction makes me feel happy and learn more as to how to apply whatever knowledge I gain from such responses in real life. Let all the praise go to the One that makes me delve into such thoughts so that I remain not overwhelmed by the burden of "I" and "Mine".

I can't explain in words how eloquently you have presented that true devotion can take someone to the end goal. You reminded me about "Markada Kishora" and "Marjala Kishora" concept. In one situation, the Lord trusts the devotee like the Monkeys jumping between the trees trusting their young ones that their strong grip on their mothers would keep them safe as opposed to devotees trusting the Lord as in case of the kitten trusting the cats to negotiate small holes carrying the kitten in their mouths. The end result of Bhakthi should increase the feeling of Oneness with the divine like Meera or Gopikas without which Bhakthi is not complete.

Thank you for educating me with that wonderful poem written by poetess Subadra Kumari Chowhan. What can be a better gift to the Lord than Atmanivedhanam? If Bhakthi results in understanding Advaitha Siddhantha, it serves its purpose. Stressing on the significance of sincerity, purity of mind and devotion in worship, Lord Sri Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita (9th canto sloka #26),"Patram pushpam phalam toyam yo me bhaktya prayacchati tad aham bhakty-upahritam ashnami praytatmanah" which means whoever offers Me with devotion a leaf, a flower, a fruit, or water, that I accept, offered with pure-mind and devotion. My Guru in His discourse gave the following explanation for Bhagavan Krishna's Teachings as follows;

"What is 'pathram'? It is not the ' leaf' that you see around you. The inner meaning is that your body itself is the leaf. Flower is not the one in the plants but it is the flower of your heart, "Hridhaya Pushpam". 'Phalam' is not the ordinary fruit but 'Manophalam' (the fruit of your mind). 'Thoyam' means water but what is referred to here is not the water from the river or tap. It refers to the tears of joy welling up within you from a sincere and prayerful heart."

I take your response as words of encouragement for a seeker and I pray to the Lord to humble me with your kind words.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  6. jayasala42

Dear viswa,
    Simply superb!. The markata Nyaya and maarjara Nyaya as explined by vedantins have much more commentaries in vaishnava cult. Many vaishnavite scholars have dealt with the same, as Sharana gathi is the core aspect of vaishnavism.
    you are blessed with a great guru, informing you of so many aspects of Hinduism. It is a blessing.
    as we go deep into studies, and go on applying it in practical life,we understand our limitations more and more and know the pragmatic aspect of such teachings.
    Thank you Viswa.
    Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,

Let me pit forth my thinking...hope you don't mind it (as Cheeniya sir doesn't mind even if I disagree or argue with him).
    I, Mine, Attachments...these are not that bad after all. Can anything be achieved without these feelings? Even if we want to attain salvation we think "I want salvation."Or if we are not able to offer anything to God we say"O God, I am not able to offer you anything except my namaskarams!" If we have passion for somethings..it may be collectibles, books or even social service or helping anyone we think " I want to help, or collect some books to read and on and on". Without that passion nothing can be achieved. All the great people or scientist were passionate about their work that they made world around them change for goo (some changed it for worse, that is a different topic.).
    Truth...I do not know how to realise it and what is that truth "What am I". I was listening to a lecture by one Swami Sarvapriyananda at IIT Kanpur on Youtube. A part of it I understood and a part not clear. But, very impressive.
    Yes, I absolutely agree with you that we should think about others around us, help others, think about others and do as much as we can. No second thought about it.
    You get FBs from all kind of readers. Those include very learned people like Jayasala Madam and some more like her and from naives like me also.
    What I wrote is all loud thinking trying to gain some clarification of some doubts from people like you.
    Thank you very much for a thought provoking one.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  8. jayasala42

Dear Syamala,
    ( Shri Viswamitra may kindly excuse)
    For further thoughts on the subject you may go through
    [h=3]A peep into your EGO, a snippet that was released on 9th April and Viswa's reply therefor.[/h]There is a thin line of demarcation between self confidence and thoughts of 'I'.Self confidence is essentially responsible for many achievements.But success cannot be achieved by the efforts of a single person or single factor.So many factors like intelligence, finance, encouragement, Time and many more factors make it a way to success.A case is made in Mahabharatha.
    When Karna dies of the arrow from Arjuna, The latter laments ,"I' killed my brother"

Krishna says," How can you kill Karna alone?'
    Karna was killed earlier 6 times"
    When he was thrown into Ganges,
    when he was insulted by Draupathi,
    when he was insulted by Bhishma,
    when Kunthi asked for a boon not to direct Naagastra on Arjuna more than once,
    when Indra asked for his kavacha and kundala,
    when Krishna in the guise of a brahmin received all punyas from karna as Danam.
    Now your single arrow was a just a pretext to take away his life.Even ai this stage here Krishna puts a full stop to the thought of 'I'of Arjuna.

Perhaps Viswa's reply to the thread is very remarkable.
    'I can do it' is confidence.
    'I alone did it.Or nobody else can do it'has a leaning on ahankara or"I' concept.

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Syamala,

It is not a difference of opinion and it is the Maya that makes all of us think there is nothing wrong in the feelings such as "I", "Mine" and "Attachments". It is our mind that makes us believe that we are the body, mind and intellect and is permanent in nature. Only way we can successfully come out of this Maya is by asking questions which is what you have done here.

I am sure you contemplated on a thought of why this world came into existence. I have heard the reasons explained by my Guru as well as Rev. Berg in his book, "Nano Technology the mind over the matter". God wanted to love and be loved. He decided to replicate One into many and hence created this world. However, the world would not separate from Him as His Satwic Guna is so strong. Therefore, He created the life that is capable of receiving His Love and Grace. That is why we have Tamosic Guna (Indolence) to be selfish and receive Love and Grace. Still the life was not happy as it is difficult to receive Love and Grace without doing any action. Moreover, life was reluctant to receive Love and Grace without giving anything in return. Therefore, God created the third Guna called Rajasic (Passion) that would help them perform actions with commitment and intend to give something back. Therefore, a life is moving from one Guna to another constantly. Whenever, Satwic Guna dominates, the urge to merge with the God is very high. When Tamosic Guna dominates, the life is having an inner feeling of unrest needing assistance and is ready to receive Love and Grace and whenever the Rajasic Guna dominates, the life is ready to perform action with a thought that it would get results with the Grace of the Lord. This three Gunas are in every cell of each life in the form of Proton, Electron and Neutron, one element that is capable of giving, one element that is capable of receiving and one element that is capable of receiving with an intent to give. This explains why love is the only ingredient that sustains this world.

That is why learned people suggested three paths to liberation known as Bhakthi Yoga, Karma Yoga and Gnana Yoga, each one helping those who have predominant Tamosic, Rajasic and Satwic Gunas.

The Truth is everyone of us came from the same source and every life we see around us is nothing but reflection of our own Self. Unfortunately, saying this does not bring that awareness. Unless one experiences this, one does not understand this Truth.

I am giving below some of the select quotes of the Man of the Century Albert Einstein who is arguably one of the best scientist the world has produced in a century.

"A human being is a part of the whole, called by us Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest-a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty."

"The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books—-a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects."

"The finest emotion of which we are capable is the mystic emotion. Herein lies the germ of all art and all true science. Anyone to whom this feeling is alien, who is no longer capable of wonderment and lives in a state of fear is a dead man. To know that what is impenetrable for us really exists and manifests itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, whose gross forms alone are intelligible to our poor faculties - this knowledge, this feeling ... that is the core of the true religious sentiment. In this sense, and in this sense alone, I rank myself among profoundly religious men."

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity."

"Only a life lived for others is a life worth while."

I am sorry about this long response. I hope the above information helps in your quest to know the Truth.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    A very thought provoking write up and needs to read and re-read to understand. Yet not so easy to attain chaithanya to ordinary mortals like us.

According to Hindu philosophy self, atman or soul is the microcosmic aspect of Brahman or Paramathma.

Self realization is the knowledge of athman or the Supreme self.

The self is subject to illusion,bondage and the laws of karma. When it achieves liberation it regains its true nature and either rejoins Brahman or exists eternally in its purest state. Different schools of Hinduism interpret the nature of relationship between atman and Brahman differently. According to some schools they are one and the same (advaitha) and according to some they are different and exist separately(Dwaitha). According to some they are one and the same but with some subtle differences ( Vishistadvaitha)that cannot be truly considered as differences.

I try to follow markata nyaya which I feel easy to follow.

PS