1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Celebrating janma divas the bharatiya way

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by BeeAmma, Mar 13, 2010.

1. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I found the following information on a blog on the internet. I do not understand all the ceremonies mentioned here, and I can take no credit for the content. I am attaching the shlokas that were attached to the post.

Just wanted to share it with fellow ILites that might be interested:

Posted on December 23, 2008 by moralstories
    Birthday (janmadinotsavam) is usually celebrated every year on the day of janma-tithi or janma-nakshatram. For babies upto the age of 1 year janmadinotsavams are celebrated every month. The following are the important things to do on janmadinotsavam:

1. Abhyangana-snaanam
    2. Nuutana-vastra-dhaarana
    3. Rakshaa-tilaka-dhaarana
    4. Haarati-grahana (These 4 are done to remove arishtams)
    5. Smarana of Kuladevata, MahaaGanapati, Suurya Bhagavaan, Sapta-Chiranjeevis, Shashthi Devi
    6. Read attached shlokas
    7. Taking aashiirvaadams of elders. This is one of the most important things to be remembered always. A person becomes yashashvi only by respecting elders. Shri Krishna Paramaatma Himself says that a Nityaannadaata, Nityaagnihotri, Maasopavaasii (one who does upavaasam every month), Pativrata, Vedaantavetta, Sahasra-chandra-darshii (a gruhastha who completes 83 years) are always bowed by Him shloka 4 Hence it is very important to always respect them and elders.
    8. Another very important thing is perform daanaas. Any kind of daanam to a daanaarhi can be done. Daanam must always be done thinking “how great is this daana-grahiita for giving me this oppurtunity to do Daanam“.
    9. On the 60th, 70th, 80th janmadinam one must do Ugra-ratha-shaanti, Bhiima-ratha-shaanti and Vijaya-ratha-shaanti respectively. On 83rd and 100th janmadinams, shataabhishekam and puurna-shataabhishekam must be done. The main aspects in these shaantis is Parameshvara-aaraadhana, Homams and Daanams.
    Following are the things which must not be done on the janmadinam:

1. Kesha-khandanam (shaving, hair-cut etc.)
    2. Nakha-visarjanam (removing nails)
    3. Kalaham (quarels, fights)
    4. Maamsa-bhojanam (eating non-vegetarian (taamasik) food)
    5. Prayaanam (travel)
    6. Himsa (cruel deeds)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear BeeAmma

Thank you for sharing how to celebrate janma divas.

love
    viji

3. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Attaching shloka 4.

Attached Files: