Cbse Board Maths Exam Paper Query

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by stayblessed, May 7, 2022.

1. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much @Thyagarajan and @Gauri03 for your explanation. I understand the mistake now. My daughter is upset only because she thinks what she did is right and that its unfair if she looses marks for a right answer. Her hurt will reduce if she knows her marks came down because of a genuine mistake. Will show these replies to her after all her exams are over. Yes disappointments are part of life. We learn something with every failure. It's just that as a mother, I know how much effort she put despite her troubled health and so many other problems through out the year, not to mention 2 board exams this year( since last year the board exams had to be cancelled due to covid, the govt introduced 2 terms so that if there is a surge in covid cases there will be at least one term marks to take in to account). She got a very good percentage in the first term and got full in maths. My child has come a long way after all the bullying, physical and mental issues. So I was looking forward to some victory to cheer her up. May be there are better victories waiting. Thanks a lot for all the replies here and the time taken by you all in giving different approaches to this query of mine.

Laks09, Thyagarajan and Gauri03 like this.
  2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My best wishes to your daughter. She already has a lot to be proud of. If this is the passion and perseverance with which she applies herself now, she undoubtedly has a brilliant future ahead of her!

Laks09, stayblessed and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx for the tag, @Rihana

Dear @stayblessed
    As others have explained, "x as the width of the whole sidewalk" is the key point here, so the first method would be correct answer.

Now, in case your daughter has drawn & labelled the x the diagram in the answer sheet differently and calculated it using that, still - IF AND ONLY IF a maths teacher corrects the paper and is patiently reading it - then and only then there is a chance that she might get some marks.

Because, no doubt, your daughter solved the sum correctly, but "x" in the question is different from the "x" in the answer. So she would probably lose marks for the entire sum.

But I always tell my students (& parents) - how much ever you prepare, there is always an unpredictable element while writing the exam - so if you get above 95, consider it as if you have got 100 and congratulate yourselves.

All the best to your daughter!
    Keep smiling
    HR