1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Caterpillars, clouds, thoughts and answers!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[justify]It is one of those days you know when one wakes up with a heavy heart and wonders whatever happened and what lies ahead? I am not able to shrug off that feeling and I do not know why. I pause trying to think and finally feel 'Ah wait a minute I do know why'. It is that bad dream that had woke me up that morning. What a mix it was. But then thanks to the dream I had sprung out of the bed realizing that I had shut off the alarm that had tried to wake me at least four times. So maybe I should be thankful. I wake up, not able to focus on work surf the internet and that seems to be making me even more remorseful.

On my drive to the park, I watch the trees and breathe. The gentle yet definite slight change in color, the cooler temperatures, the squirrels here and there, some trees already with a carpet of fallen leaves around them on the ground! It is all so pleasing to my senses! Oh! I cannot wait to get out and run. I know I have a long run and an even longer day. As I go around the same loop the fourth time or may be the fifth time, I cannot help but wonder about all the different kinds of caterpillars I have seen for the day. I am reminded of a fellow teacher making photocopies the previous morning and the word that had caught my attention was camouflage followed by a kindergartner's coloring of a chameleon with a bright red on a white paper. I remember smiling instantly wondering about the little one and his/her imagination.

As I keep my eyes glued to the world and the colors around me almost certain that I have committed to memory every single plant and flower that has crossed my path, all the different caterpillars making their way home perhaps to a cocoon only remind me more of the season for hibernation. I am fascinated by the colors and different adaptations of these little creatures seemingly in a hurry to come out as those butterflies. As I continue to look for them, I am stunned by a caterpillar that is grey and black and moving quickly across the black top narrow trail, almost not visible only if it had stayed still! Only if it had stayed still! The caterpillar seems to stand out despite its effort to not and I only hope that it will make across before it is trampled by a running foot!

I have not been feeling as centered lately and watching the caterpillar I am reminded of a colleague asking me if everything was okay with me, wondering out loud about my calm demeanor apparently, while I go in my mind ‘if only you knew’! As is my wont, I look at the Universe for answers and am only stunned to see a cloud in the sky. With excitement I capture the cloud and when I share it with a dear friend; she is quick to point out to me that it is no coincidence that the cloud is similar to the cover of my favorite book.

Oct cell.jpg

How did I not see it? Have I been out of sorts so much? Now I know where to find the answer I am seeking! I reach for the book again, perhaps for the 100th time and finally the mind quietens down. [/justify]

15 people like this.

2. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Srama,

The pic - isn't that the cover of Richard Bach's Illusions ??? That book is my Bible, I have read it a 100 times myself, and do know will read it when ever I feel low :) . True what you said, it definitely answers questions, an eyes opener of sorts. Nice to know it's one of your favorite book :thumbsup

2 people like this.
  3. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Oh Srama, How can you write like this, you pour your heart and carry it in your sleeves. So beautiful to read and you have a very special power to connect with the nature. I am intrigued by that special book? Take care dear,
    Vani

2 people like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Srama
    There you do it again! I am now positively jealous of that guy who rules over your vision, your dreams! What is it that he says that sweeps you off your feet which I am already not saying? Maybe my expressions lack colour but I am not a verbal painter like him. I too talk of clouds but in a matter of fact way. The only time that I see a bit of colour in them is when I am myself on cloud nine! Or when I recall the words of Martin Luther King: 'God writes the Gospel not in the Bible alone, but also on trees, and in the flowers and clouds and stars.'

'A season of loneliness and isolation is when the caterpillar gets its wings. Remember that next time you feel alone' is what somebody said about a caterpillar but does that come anywhere near 'What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly'? But tell me seriously. Merely because he always talks of clouds and caterpillars, should you also follow suit to establish that you are his die-hard fan?
    Sri

5 people like this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

Now looking at the cover of your book and the photograph of the cloud, I cannot help but wonder - is that a Divine Message to you to get back to the book to find answers to your troubled mind? WOW!!!!! See? I always think you are one amazing person and amazing things happen only to amazing persons. :-D

2 people like this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Hi @SRama, Recently I read an article on CNN life (8 ways to know angels are present) and I am sharing the link here cnn life. It has similar feather cloud image. . @SRama it was the higher self guiding you to your favorite book to find answers. While walking to look for small creatures is possible but while running looking for caterpillars .... hmmm How much caution you would be exercising. Was a bit confused with the title but everything got clear with your nice write-up.

3 people like this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear sabitha,
    When I saw the title I guessed it is by you and when I read about the cover of the book I thought it is Bach. Both became right.
    Nature, Bach, running are all an integral part of you. Shape of the cloud may be coincidence.
    Yes, caterpillars hibernate and emerge as beautiful butterflies. I saw in Princeton at fall the colours are beautiful (we lived there), then all the leaves fall off, trees look barren and when spring comes they are full of green leaves...beautiful! It seems the leaves also sleep like caterpillars and wake up in spring like beautiful butterflies!
    Thank you for a good one.
    Syamala

3 people like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Scorpio,

Yes, it is the Illusions! I love the book too...so much :) Thank you for your feedback.

1 person likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Vani! It is always nice to hear from you. I cannot help but be transparent :) The book is "Illusions" by Richard Bach. I started reading it when I was not even out of high school and the book still holds meaning to me! All is well on my side, not being able to connect with my students brought that ...snippet!

1 person likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

You see the magic of Bach? You are here and so early. I had to chuckle reading your feedback. You and jealous? Let me put it down to you pulling my leg. But sir do you see the abberation? I must be surely off for in spite of observing those caterpillars, I did not see the connection and in frustration the Universe chose to show me the feather. I was oblivious again till this friend knocked me on my head like there was something wrong with me and reminded me!

No way sir, too wordy, plain and obvious. I am sure you will agree with me if I lean towards the latter. Knowing that you know a lot about clouds and stars and things like that, let me assure you that if I ever need to understand better, I promise I will be at your doorstep knocking on your door. I have to confess. I have come back to see that attachment I have posted and just that feather from that cover makes me so happy!

I know how much you enjoy Bach yourself. It is so nice to read you, as always. You made my day and I would have borrowed your phrase to say "I am on cloud nine" but you very well know I would rather be in a place where I can see the clouds than be on them. That doesn't take away the fact that I am happy, really to receive your feedback. Thank you!