1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Catching From Where I Left...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, May 5, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I met my dear old friend today. Oh! I really miss her when I am in Chennai. She really is a hyperactive bundle. Let me call her S. You want to know what are the great offers around the place, ask her. You want to get some blood for a needy person you ask her. You want to know the directions for a place you ask her. Even the regular servant maid who comes to her house loves her.

A very bubbly, vivacious person she is. 9 years back, I never knew she existed. I have met, got acquainted, got great friends and lost a many in my life before her. She came into my life just by accident. It so happened that Veda got his first offer in Muscat and I wanted to know about the place and the company, remembered his CA Articles friend having worked in Muscat. So sent a mail to him to know about the company. By then this friend had shifted base from Muscat. So he in turn had sent the mail to S to enquire, and he forwarded the reply to us. Me being me, could not stop from sending a thank you card to her for her prompt and clear reply.

Bang came a reply, saying though she has helped many this way, nobody comes back to thank her. That paved way to many a mails. Then to chatting, had to chat with her at least once a day. In fact her husband JJ picked Veda from the office took him home, for dinner and made him so comfortable even though it was the first time they all met. After that it was online chat with all of them, sometimes, teaching S how to make rasam, how to make pongal my way.

So the day to meet her came. I came out of immigration and baggage (by then DS had made life miserable by running around 10/15 times he was 2.2yrs) and was looking out for Veda . There I see a whole lot of people, from S, JJ, Veda and other friends, even one person who is an IL member here. S was upto what she came across to me on the net. She made me feel so comfortable, she had set the whole house for me, she and JJ had helped Veda to arrange everything. Infact she had collected nido tins, to bournvita bottles, and even set provisions for a week, saying it would be difficult for me with two small kids. She had applied for admission in school for DD all by herself.

Now it is 9 years, we are an integral part of each other’s family. She and Veda are so typical in their choices as me and JJ are. Our kids enjoy each others company. Her two sons and my kids are good friends. Though at times the three boys teaming together makes it difficult for us. JJ parents, consider Veda as another son. So we are always there in their prayers. Any time I call JJ parents I am humbled and honored by the love and affection they shower.

S knows she can ask me for any help. And I know she is there for me and I have to only pick up the phone, and tell her. Though now she has gone back to working after a long gap, and does not have much time for chat, we never feel need to keep in touch everyday, she is one person I can start off where I left anyday anytime.

I think people like her are very few in this society now. People who help others without expecting anything in return. We always feel, you help someone somewhere, god sends somebody else to your aid. I always think God sends people like S to me, to reiterate my beliefs, which weakens when someone takes undue advantage.

A friend is someone, you can be yourself and also turn to when in need and also be there in return. We make a lot of friends, some we lose, some we gain, some we neglect. I treasure friends, how about you.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Very well written.. Dear Shanthi.. not a surprise! Your narration style and subject is as unique as you are. It is life's blessings to meet and know people who are unique.. especially those who give of themselves.. You are truly blessed:)

3. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shavy,

A nice topic nicely written. Yes in this world ther r many ppl who take advantage of us n leave us when our usefullness is done. but even then we continue to make friends because all of us have a spl few who have stood by us. We go ahead n make new friends in hope the new ones ll be like the spl few n not the ones who turn their backs.

Regards,
    CC
    CC

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

kudos to your friend shanthi and i am not surprised she taking to you, you and veda as a couple can be infectious..sunkan

5. Ranganayaki

Ranganayaki New IL'ite

Hey Shanvy,

It felt like a dream come true. To have a friend like S and both of your kids being friends ...wow! You must feel blessed! :)

A very nice warm post, will look forward to more from you!

Ranganayaki

6. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Hey Shanvy,

Firstly WELCOME BACK :))

Shanvy lovely post.
    Yes its good to find friends for yourself but its even great when you find friends that the whole family can enjoy.
    We have a few friends that we love to hang around with of the same wavelength and kids getting along just fine. A lovely way to unwind!

Love,
    Devika

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shan,

A Warm Welcome Back !

Though I have not interacted very oftenly with you but from what you write, I know you are a very warm and affectionate person and any person would love to be your friend ..........and the same has just happened.

But I agree with you, Friends are very Rare and we Treasure them with Care. Hence keep them very carefully. and God Bless all of you.

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi,
    Really you and Veda are blessed to have such a nice friend. Kudos to your friendship. Such a true friendship is rare to find these days.....
    PS

9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanthi
    So well written. Looks like you have got lot of time in Oman and you are busy with all you writtings. So we are going to get a lot from you.
    But very sad to know you are not able to make it to Egypt.
    Yes dear for me friends are like treasures of my life. I can stay without a relative but not without friends. Some of them are real precious stones for me. These are the only creatures who help you without expecting anything in return. I just love them all.

10. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Hey Shanthi,

That was very sweet post.Am I missing something? Did you move to Oman.. Good ! Must be great to be back with hubby. Enjoy your time.

Ria