1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Carrying Insulin Pens, Alcohol Wipes And Needles To India Via Dubai

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gamma50g, Nov 13, 2016.

1. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

Hi

I have an upcoming trip to India via Dubai. I need to carry insulin pens (18 nos) , needles (~200 nos), alcohol wipes, glucose meter, lancets and test strips to India. I am traveling via Dubai.

I plan to put my supplies in carry on baggage.

My questions are:

1. How can I carry insulin so that it will remain cool (not frozen) through the 24+ hours of total journey time? Ice packs either freeze insulin rendering it ineffective or lose their cooling potency after a few hours.

2. Do authorities at Dubai allow needles, insulin and other diabetic supplies to be carried through their security.

Does anyone have a first hand experience of traveling with transit at Dubai? Im traveling via Emirates. Does anyone have a first hand experience of traveling on Emirates with their diabetic supplies?

2. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

Thyagarajan and gamma50g like this.
  3. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

4. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

Are you sure an ice pack would cause the meds to freeze? I have done ice packs inside an insulated bag and its been fine.
    I don't have any experience traveling via Dubai, but I have carried medical supplies through flights in Europe and the US without any problems. Its good to have a letter from the doctor describing all the materials you would be carrying. Don't put anything in your checked baggage, just carry it with you. Worst case scenario, they might want to open up the bag and do a second examination by hand. People carry medication with them all the time, so don't worry too much :)

Thyagarajan and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

Thanks @preesmiles :) You are right!! Which brand of insulated bag did you take with you?

A quick update from my end. I did an experiment the last couple of days. I was looking at Frio insulin wallets, thermos and gel packs as potential options.

I dropped the idea of Frio as it keeps insulin cool at or below room temp (but I wanted it at refrigerated cool temp as I'm carrying one month supply).

I purchased a thermos 24 oz steel beverage container and kept ice cubes at bottom and put my insulin pens above it. I then closed it for 24 hours. After a full 24 hours, the ice was as solid and unmelted as can be :blush: and my insulin did not freeze. Im pretty sure it would remain at this temperature for atleast a few days without any issues.

In the meanwhile, I had requested my pharmacy to keep the commercial icebox packaging, in which insulin pens are transported to them. I received it and even though its pretty good, I have decided not to use it as its too big for my needs.

The best way to transport my insulin, for my needs, would be using the thermos with ice in it. Its very compact and ice is unmelted even after a full 24 hours.

Also, one more update is when I called up Emirates, they informed that they would be able to refrigerate my insulin once on board. But in case even they don't do it, I'm still good to go till I reach India :):)

Just thought I will share this info here

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Thyagarajan and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

A quick update. I am in India now and took my insulin pens in thermos flask filled with ice. Emirates refrigerated it on board for me and also gave me fresh ice for refilling while getting down at Dubai.

Only the security at Dubai would not let me pass without putting the insulin pens through scanner. I requested Emirates and the security that insulin being bio active loses potency when put in scanner. After lots of deliberation, they allowed me to carry my pens with visual inspection.

My thermos which was filled with ice at Dubai lasted till I landed in India. So did not ask for refrigeration in my connecting flight.

Hope this update is useful to some diabetic traveling between India and US.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. DeepikaKain

DeepikaKain New IL'ite

Not for international travel but i did carry my Insulin pens(unopened) with other supplies in thermal bag that I found on amazon. The company claimed the back-up was for 10 hours which was more than enough for my travel. It was the only bag offering to keep my opened pen at room temperature, although i have to change the packs for different temperatures. You can still check it on the link:

Buy PronGO 3LSCM - Thermal bag for carrying Insulin Vials and Pens, upto 10 hours Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

Have a safe journey! :)

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

You can put insulin containing carry-on bag/flask through the x-ray scanner beds. Nothing happens to the potency of the insulin, whether it be in a bottle, or contained within pens. The other frequent issue with passengers with insulin, is the need to carry more than the allowed amount of "liquid" in their carry-on baggage. Taking a doctor's prescription where the patient's name is the same as the ID of the passenger is always helpful.

Thyagarajan likes this.