1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Carnival Cruise- Few Queries

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by brahan, Sep 1, 2015.

1. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I am excited that i would be going on a cruise soon .Its a three day Cruise. Me, my DH and my 7 year old DS are extremely excited about this trip.

I have been browsing a lot about it , but have few specific queries.It would be great if someone who has already done this can guide me

PS:I am travelling by Carnival Inspiration

a. How should we handle Sea sickness? Is there specific tablets available for Kids?Are they OTC tablets?

b. We are vegetarians(Dont eat egg -But egg in pastries, waffles and pancakes are fine). Do we get good options there? My friend was telling that she got a chef from Tamil Nadu , so she was lucky enough to get hot dosas too..It is true? Can i get Indian stuff? I cannot survive only in Pastas and Pizzas for three days. I would be taking some bread, and ready to eat stuff for emergency

c.What are the basic stuff to be taken? I would be taking basic toiletries, Swim suit for all of us, Sneakers/flipflops to use in the pool/beaches, Shoes ,Casual clothing(Jeans, Shorts, Casual Tees), Dresses for evening (Is Tux needed for my MAN ???) , inners , sunscreens, camera. Am i missing something here?

Will add in few more questions

Thanks,
    Bee

2. RPVAIL

RPVAIL Silver IL'ite

I have been on a Carnival Cruise but my information is approx. 5 years old.

a) Normally you don't feel any sea sickness on these ships. They are very big and unless you encounter really bad weather you don't feel a thing. Having said that it is prudent to carry some general medications for motion sickness. I cannot quote any names.

b) You are lucky on this item. There were several Indians on the staff and among kitchen staff also. They are very friendly and do cook special Indian meals on request. You also have non-veg selections. Yes, they can cook dal, Sambar etc.

c) Looks like you covered everything. Yes, a suit or Jacket for the males would help with one or two formal dinners.

Enjoy your time.

3. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @rpvail

4. aarthy

aarthy Senior IL'ite

Hi

1.we did not get any sea sickness, usually u don't get.
    2. There is a veg option - sometimes Indian, in the dinner menu(sit down option) everyday. Lunch and breakfast depending on activities u can get from various restaurants, so u can get veg.
    3. Maybe u can buy selfie stick, they will take photos of family in the ship and it will be displayed in a hall, but it's very costly, so u can buy only what's necessary. take sunglasses, passport docs etc, enough cash for butler. Depending on shore activity,extra stuff u might require. Also take basic first aid stuff in case food doesn't agree.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sea-sickness - others have said right - can almost not feel it. It feels more like a huge hotel than a ship if one is not looking at the ocean.

Food - yes, there are almost always Indian cooks and so Indian staples like choley, daal, aalu sabji etc are easy to get. You can ask the person assigned to your room - they usually come around and say hello before the ship sets sail. Talk with them. They have interesting stories to share.

But, one of the main attractions on a cruise is the eat all you can food. So, eating only Indian is a waste. Even with dietary restrictions, you can try all kinds of foods, and have Indian 2-3 times in the cruise.

The formal dinner - if you are not keen on dressing up, and not keen on the food in that menu, skip. They serve regular dinner also. Tux not needed, just a nice coat should do for the gent. Don't forget the formal shoes.

Take swim goggles for the child. Sometimes the water in the pool can bother. Also, if possible take two swim suits. I mean if anybody is picky and minds wearing a damp swimsuit - it doesn't dry well in the closed room.

Make a list of the shows, and plan a bit so as to not miss the good ones.

The activities in the kid's center are not so great. If planning to leave kid there, leave at times when they have fun stuff planned, and not just treasure hunt or other silly competition that kid does in regular daycare anyway.

Soap - take soap. :) Ship water is funny enough, but the soap can be weird on the skin.

1 person likes this.
  6. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Thank You for the extensive informaiton @rihana

7. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @aarthy

8. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

The trip was awesome..

There was absolutely no sea sickness. Most of the times we dint feel we were on the ship. We did feel gentle swaying on and off which was completely okie with us..

Wrt food,we being vegetarians managed the breakfast with cereals, Bread, Hashbrowns, Waffles, Pancakes , Muffins which would constitute about 30-40% of the food offered there...For Non Veg people its a feast..

For lunch we did have Pizza, pasta, Noodles, salads, Corn Bread...

Dinner was something that was really wonderful..@rihana did mention that i shouldnt limit myself to only Indian and try others too...But there was only Indian meals and some mac and cheese that was available for the vegetarians(Not in the self service counters)..I dont complain about it as the Indian Meals were exotic..MalaiKofta, Aloo Baingan, Dal , South Indian Sambar, Zuchini kootu...It tasted just like home food..

The Best part was the dessert...Molten Chocolate cake just melted in my mouth..The exotic collections of desserts in Lunch and Dinner tempts you :)Proof:I have put on 3 pounds in two days :(

Vegetarians, please double check before you order your food..We ordered Minestrone soup(It was mentioned its made with veggies)..When we were about to eat the soup, a gentleman next to our table just asked us if we were vegetarians( I thank god for his instincts)...He warned us that this soup is Non Vegetarian..When we checked with the waiter there , he said that it is made with chicken broth...After that incident we double check on every item being served..

The best part of the cruise was the Portrait pictures taken..Amazing family and individual portraits...I felt like a model in those pictures...Ofcourse paid a heavy price for the portrait pictures..But still i feel its worth it..

Overall it was a exotic trip...

Instead of sea sickness i am having food sickness..Sick of eating awesome food...Now all i want to eat is ghar ka khana..Planning to make pepper rasam with Bindi Fry tonight..Chao