1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

career choice in engineering- pls give me some suggestion

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by dhivya312, Jan 18, 2010.

1. dhivya312

dhivya312 Senior IL'ite

hi everybody,
    i would like to know which course would be good choice in engineering?.... i am basically good at computer.... but i like to go to civil engineering.... everybody are telling me not to go to civil engineering since it is not suitable for ladies..... i am having least preference to go to IT jobs coz its already overcrowded and is not a secured job.... give me some advices pls.....:)

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Dhivya, if you have that passion for civil engineering take the risk.
    Take the risk of following your heart than other people's because you wont regret later.
    I have this friend of mine who was afraid to listen o her heart and took ECE as per others said instead of her wish to be an architect though she got into a reputed Engg college for the same. But now she regrets for not being bold at that time.So make YOUR decision.

3. blissful

blissful Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dhivya,

I work in the IT industry and I completely agree with your view on the the industry. Today at entry level there is a surplus of trained personnel and this in turn leads to uncertainty because it is easy to be replaced. Today's entry level is tomorrow middle level, so by the time you gain experience there is going to be a surplus experienced middle level IT personnel, which in turn means that there will be uncertainty then too.

So in an option between computer and civil engineering, I would choose civil. This is a predominately a male speciality field in India, but this is changing. So you have be prepared to fight the usual gender bias in this field. Also once you get a job, very often civil engineers need to travel quiet a bit so you have to be prepared for that too.

Have you considered other non-traditional engineering like Environmental, Engineering Management, Geotechnical etc?

Regards,
    Bliss

4. dhivya312

dhivya312 Senior IL'ite

hi,
    thanks ami and bliss..... :):)ur sugesstions are so nice.... but can u give me more details about non traditional engineering fields and b.arch pls?.....and i want to know about the career options in civil engineering coz i can learn it but i want a job too after it.... i want to know how they are giving preference to women today.....:)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

I am not sure about the civil Engg job opportunities for women as am not from that field.
    But I can enquire about the same from my friend who was working with Shobha after civil engg and then now with soem other company.
    Another turn off of civil enng is the salary for the first few years will be very low compared to IT. When I was taking home a 5digit alary my friend used to get only 4digit.
    B.Arch is architecture which is good if you are interested in architectural field.

6. dhivya312

dhivya312 Senior IL'ite

hi,
    thank u very much ami for your suggestions.... sorry for the late reply.... i will check about civil and architecture....:):)