Career Break?? Yes/no

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by BDivya, Nov 14, 2016.

1. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

I would like to know your views on quitting job for a period of 2/3 years and after the gap , will a woman be able to get a job in IT industry?

Currently I am thinking of quitting my job for my toddler and planning to search for jobs once my kiddo is 5 years.

My question is will we(ladies) who opt a carrer break for the sake of their kids , get a IT job after the break???

What is your take on taking career break for a year or two???

Any such experiences/ideas shared will be of great use...

2. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

I have taken break of around 2 years, i was having 5 and half years of exp. in IT at that time. And after 2 years of break i got the job in world's top MNC, with around 1.5 times salary hike. During my job search almost everybody took my maternity break very cordially. I found that normally 2 years of break is not considered much if taken for maternity. Maternity is considered a very genuine reason for taking a break.
    Of course you have to prove yourself in interview that break has not affected your skills much.
    while joining back, job market is hot or not, this also matters.

3. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

Hey,

Breaking career if you have valid a reason is not a big issues and as others said it got more value. But in the corporate life the important thing is get updated every time. If you can make sure that the gap wont make you any lags in technological updates in your profile, you are good and positive candidate for any company.

But In person I believe, 2 year is a kind of big gap where your mind and life can be completely diverted from your usual career related stuffs. Once you moved away from it you needs to put some extra effort to get it back the track and it can take time. If you have some one who can take of your kid in home in day times better to not to take break, unless you have strong reason to think so.

All the best.

4. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

I am not from IT. I took a break thinking I can get back after a couple of years but soon enough started enjoying being at home :p. Even job offers have come up, didn't take up any coz I feel I would miss this enjoyment.

So plan emotionally too before you take a decision. Best of luck

5. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I have no idea about your field Op.:worried:

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

First of all, I am not an IT person. But I have working exp in the international organization; hence sharing my experience.

Breaking your career for 1-2 or even 3 years is not considered a huge problem. Just that you need to give them a valid reason for the gap, as well they expect you to have constant touch with your area of expertise. It means you are required to update your skills, and other trends which are important for your career.

I have taken career breaks on and off. The first break was taken when I was 7 months pregnant with my first one. It was a long break for almost 2 years. But I made sure that I update my knowledge on my field throughout, and was very much prepared for the interview when I faced it. I got back into the same post.

Then I took a break when my second kiddo was 1 year old. I had to resign since I could no longer do justice to both family and my demanding work. It stayed at home for almost 1 year. During this time, I gained some knowledge on certain areas where I was planning to focus during my next job search. As the previous area was much tiring, and not a great idea for a family person.
    This time, I wasn't that difficult to get back the job. But I had to accept a pay cut since I demanded a post in my native town for personal reason.
    What I mean here is, getting into a post after a break may require so much adjustments from both ends, be it posting as well family front.
    However, within 6 months time into this new career, I was able to prove myself and get the first promotion; thus I am earning almost what I earned 2 years back.

Now that my kids are growing fast... And I am significantly working on updating my knowledge on the original career. Hopefully I will get back to there, with a better post soon (I am almost selected).

8. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

BDivya,

Taking a career break at this point is a good option, as I know that you are leaving your son in Day care. Personally, I dont like leaving kids in day care.... 2 years gap, is not a very big one, provided you update your skills frequently, in case if you wish to join back...

My dream is to be a SAHM....probably in a year.... enough of running....I am going to take a permanent break in IT, but if I feel bored, I am thinking other options like, working for a part time job as a teacher.... or something else, which will allow me to spend time for my family.... :).... Hope I achieve my dream soon....

9. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

thank u everyone for ur replies :)

I personally want a break to be with my kid till 5 years. But at the same time i cant be sure if i will get a job, on first note, which will let me work in flexible hours..

I was thinking that at 5 years they will have school till 4 pm and hence i should find a job which will let me work in the morning shifts.. But to find such a kind will be a great task, i foresee!!!

Currently im not convinced completely to leave my job and be a SAHM, but my mind always wants me to take a break for my son... im in a dilemma..

10. rambhu

rambhu Silver IL'ite

Hi op, basically i m not in IT industry. But i know few of my frnds working in IT industry and i m amazed by how they manage career and kiddo.

This is my about my male colleague wife, who quit her job for kid during pregnancy itself. But she does some online work (Which i dont know how to explain) and was constantly upgrading her skills. The kid completed 1 year this month and she was randomly attending some tech fair and got through one of the leading firm., again they are in dilemma where to leave the kid. When i started reading your story, it made me remind of her so shared here.Thought might be useful for you dear.

Dont be dilemma, go by your heart. i know it easy to advice difficult to follow weigh your options and take wise decision which befitted both of you. All the best.