Career After A Long Break

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by RamyaST, May 18, 2018.

1. RamyaST

RamyaST Silver IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    Looking to restart my career after 6 yr break and need your suggestions. I have 5 yrs of IT exp mostly in support project with a bit of programming. With 2 kids i had no time or interest to learn new things when i was in US. Its been 1.5 years since we moved to India and still i could not manage to find a job in IT. Please suggest me some certificate courses which are valued now. I see lots of scope for BI,Big data, hadoop in future. Also will it be a good decision to move to non IT.

-RamyaDevi

2. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

If you think you can update your skills to match the current competency and will always get the time to study more after full day service and maintaining schedule with kids too then IT is good option for you. First revise what you already know then go for some certification.

Else for non It you can try various options as per your interest and also can be a computer teacher in some school or any of the nearby institute. But first of all you have to brush up your skills and be ready for the upcoming challenges.

I am also in the same boat. Was in IT and planning to start career after 6 years of gap. Let's see what other people suggest.

3. RamyaST

RamyaST Silver IL'ite

The technology in which i have experience is outdated and applications are all migrated to sharepoint long back. Now i have interest in learning some new technology which has scope in future. My kids are not a problem elder one stay with my parents and lil one who is 1 yr old is with me. I am just confused from where to start and what to do next.
    To get certification from reputed centers it costs around 2L for SAP. Cousin wants me to learn python and my husband insists me to write bank exam.
    Is online certification worth? Do they provide verified certificate. Let me know your plans.

4. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

I too heard about python but do not know much about it. You can study online and see if you find it interesting.

For bank exam what kind of posts you want to apply? It's itself is a long journey and even after clearing the exam you may be kept at hold for long time and not sure about working conditions.

Online certification is useful but it should be related to your previous experience or very popular related to present market demand.

You may look out for the current openings that will give you idea about from where to start.

5. leelal

leelal Bronze IL'ite

Explore Data analytics courses or Mobile Application Development in IOS and Android. [Assume you already know abt SQL data bases and programming skills. additionally you may learn Java and few other languages along with developer environment.] Once you have done your desired courses matching your aptitude and skill sets, try exploring projects in upwork.
    Gradually build your career from there.

6. RamyaST

RamyaST Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your suggestions. To develop mobile applications one has to be strong technically or coding wise, i dont think so i am strong in web services. The reason i chose data analytics is, i have worked with databases before written query atleast know the concept of databases and how it works.
    My cousin wanted me to learn python and said it is easy when compared to c,c++ and java. Planning to give it a try and in the end will try to make my own website using python coding(2 months timeframe)
    I am thinking to start of with any online course and update my skills.

7. soraj

soraj Senior IL'ite

Hey , Check for rehiring of Womens who are on break ( Child , marriage , any reason ) .. I have seen many on such ads on Naukri , monster too..

Check that too hope that helps ..

8. RamyaST

RamyaST Silver IL'ite

Hi, Bank exam is my husband's plan and i dont think so it will work out. Starting to revise all the Q aptitude, reasoning, logical, GA skills needs some really dedicated time. As you rightly said even if we clear exams it takes lots of years to reach a decent role and pay. I will now stick to the IT side and see how can i get a job. To do any certification, i have to travel a lot bcoz i dont live in a city hence i chose online.

9. RamyaST

RamyaST Silver IL'ite

Is that true? i will check it. Employers see a break of 5 yrs in my resume and that is the reason i am not getting any calls.

10. sandhya2020

sandhya2020 Silver IL'ite