1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Care Of Old Parents In Dysfunctional Families

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Rihana, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My husband was similarly puzzled at how she could be blamed for her parents' or brothers' problems given that she was married off young and even her share of money, gold, plot etc. was handed over then itself. It is hard to explain. She is the first child, so not even like they were hoping against hope for a boy. They have always been a very sad family, always bickering, and the girl has borne the brunt of it. When younger, she was scolded more, beaten more, and so on. They blamed her for her wedding expenses. Then, something like marriage with mom's younger brother couldn't take place as this girl took after dad and is more wheatish than mom/brothers. Now, I gather, they say something like all the good luck of the family went to her. !!

It beats logic for sure. But, parents who are dealing with their child's failure or their own life plans gone wrong, and also dealing with old age, are like that sometimes.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A visit to India without such topics rearing their heads would be a miracle. That is what such families talk when all sit in the drawing room with tea or coffee.

Remorse, closure etc would be too high funda for them. In our street, they were called "villagers" due to the loud fights and MIL-DIL throwing vessels outside the kitchen, taking down each other's wet clothes from the drying line. : )

No offence to people who grew up in villages! Just a term we children heard grown-up's use.

One more thing struck me now... maybe the old parents compare her successful husband to their sons.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:joycat::joycat::joycat: Goodness. Too much.

Aaah the injustice of having a daughter’s husband in a better position than the sons.
    It’s terrible to have to deal with all this. I hope she finds some solace somewhere. I don’t know about your friend but I’ve noticed that in general when parents show favoritism, the spouses sometimes bring it up and add fuel to the fire. I hope she doesn’t have that situation going on.

Sunshine04 and Rihana like this.
  4. pocahontas

pocahontas Gold IL'ite

I think you should give back what you received (the positives)- if your parents ensured you had a roof and food, you should ensure the same. If you did not receive affection, you cannot be expected to make everyday calls/annual trips and gifts. Do the bare minimum just like they did and it is better - no fights, no drama this time around.
    You cannot be held responsible for your siblings’ success or failure. You cannot be expected to subsidize the difference in your lifestyle and theirs.

Sometimes, you succeed in life/are happy not because of your parents and family but inspite of them. You did better than what they hoped for you/provided you with. Other siblings/ family members might still be where they were/ worse - while you should treat them with love and affection (things don’t change just because of what you have managed to make/achieve), your family has no business pinning all their failures and frustrations on you! So basically, we thought you wouldn’t amount to much and resent that you actually did? Your friend should treat herself to some self love.

Rihana likes this.
  5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Good observation. It is also true that parents were much younger and made a clear concise decision to find a match for the girl when she got married. The lady was also taught to be a hard worker, learn to live with what she has, and to be happy with her life.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Parents' behavior, and wanting some manner of reparations (money from daughter) seems very logical to me:

1. Because the girl cost them a lot (in those days a rupee was real money too) at the wedding, and the consequence was the lack of --that much-- money to properly prepare the boys to support the parents in their old age.
    2. Because the girl was wheatish, she refused to marry her maternal uncle, thus saving the family money they could'a used to prepare the boys to support the parents in their old age.
    3. Because she hadn't been born a boy, who could'a fetched much money in dowry because he'd have been wheatish also, and the parents could'a prepared him well for life, she ruined the family by bleeding their meagre money, which they could'a used to prepare the boys to support the parents in their old age.
    4. Because ...yada yada... we now have suffer daily facetime with two good for nothing idiots ... who got that way since we spent all our money in a wedding and didn't have any more to prepare these idiot boys to support the parents in their old age.

Catch that refrain chorus ?

That lament could go on and on.... with the conclusion on how she ruined the chances for the boys who'd have grown up to support their parents in old age.

Sufficiently logical.... in a grim, perverted sort of way. The amount the daughter has to pay in reparations can be estimated using the same algorithm that courts use for monetary compensation for damages caused.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Very true Soka. I would extend that quote along the lines of "All men are equal, some more than the others" and say, "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way, some more than the others". :)

Sunshine04, SunPa and Rihana like this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Rihana, I can absolutely feel your friend's pain. It is something that she will have to consciously work on and it is certainly going to take a long while, before she can either see the lack of logic in her parents' behaviour and let them be or get over the pain of rejection for no fault of hers.

Sunshine04 and Rihana like this.
  9. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

With this mentality many people will justify this perverted sort of way - the society perpetuates family's dysfunction in India. The best thing for your friend is to find a therapist to make her whole again and cut all the ties with her "no good" family. If they brought her into this world, it is their duty to provide for her and settle her. If they had tight financial situation, they didn't have to produce more kids. In today's world, the girl would have become their son. I am truly appalled to hear how many people believe that you have children to take care of the parents in the old age. What ever happened to the pure unconditional love? You do things because you love without expecting a return? Unexpected return is the gift of your love. Love is not spoiling your children; provide them to the best of your abilities, teach them right from wrong, to be compassionate yet strong and motivated and give them a happy childhood; teach them survival skills and to let them know you are always there for them. Children draw strength from their childhood when they encounter difficult times in their lives. Parent's behavior has a long lasting impact on a child. Therefore, childhood is very important.

Even suggesting that she marry uncle shows they didn't have the best interest in heart for their daughter. Genetically, it is a "no" "no". Just having children does not make them parents, even animals have offspring that they struggle to protect.

Even a parent must respect grown adult children to get respect. Children are not their "property". What they are doing is a pure abuse which your friend allows to continue.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

No disrespect to you friend Rihana

I am using this as example the daughter can cut all ties , just return back gold and plot which she got on wedding.

Sons should just return back any higher education expenses , wedding expenses , any property , that would be good before lecturing parents not to expect anything from children.

Most of us gladly take inheritances and give all the lecture on unconditional love

SunPa, Mistt, sindmani and 1 other person like this.