1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

car jump start

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ssubhasr, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

Does anyone know how to do a jump start for the car ? And where to buy the car jump start kit and how much it will cost ?

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

There are a number of methods for jump starting:

1. Jumper cables that you use between two cars: the "donor" car is running and the other is cabled to it.

2. There are some new types where you jump between two cigarette lighters in two cars. I do not know how well this works.

3. You can buy a battery based unit that you charge at home and then carry/use in the car not needing a second car.

4. Take out the battery and have it charged in a garage or with a batter charger at home.

5. Get a AAA membership and call the number when you need a jump. You can do that 5? 6? times a year for free with a membership.

Are you getting many dead batteries and do you know that cause? On all the battery cabling methods they will show the + or - on the clips that go on the battery posts. Be sure you do that properly....you can have power zaps or worse if you do it improperly.

3. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

Jump start connecting wires are available with the car safety driving kits ranging from 20$ to higher prices..We got it from walmart..
    I had to jumo start once under trivial circumstances..had to wait long almost 3 hrs to pick up my husband and I played the music mp3 and thats it..the battery died out..then hd to take help of a friend to jump start the dead battery cannot forget that day..:rotfl