1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can't Take It.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Mar 19, 2023.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Can't take it

Kabir is my best friend. I invited him to my daughter's wedding. As soon as he reached home, he said that his box containing his clothes was stolen on the train. I offered him my expensive suit to put on.

Introduced him to other guests like this -

1. Introduced to a friend- meet Kabir, my best friend. He told Kabir - you are looking very smart in this suit. I could not help it and said the suit is mine! Kabir hesitated. I guess I shouldn't have said that.

2. Next, introduced to next in this way – Kabir my best friend! He also praised him and the suit, so I said that the suit is mine! I felt like I made a mistake again.

3. When I introduced to the third person and he also praised him and the suit, I said - he is my best friend, the suit doesn’t matter.

4. The process of introducing continued and on the praise of him and the suit, there was also a hint that the suit was mine.

I tried my best not to mention the suit, but when I saw that everyone was praising him and the suit, I could not help but say it. What happened to the friend and what did the other guests think, what do I have to do with it? He was looking good because of my suit, wasn't it?

I don't like someone else's praise in front of me, no matter even if he is my best friend. The suit was just an excuse.

Thyagarajan and Swetha52003 like this.

2. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Did you yourself wear that suit anytime? Did you receive any compliments? If not, maybe it was not just the suit that helped your friend to earn all the praises :) I know it’s a difficult situation, maybe next time stock up some less flattering suits for all the unfortunate friends who lose their suitcases ? But the thing is if they still get compliments in that less flattering suits, it can be really heartbreaking!:joycat:

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. HariLakhera

Yes, you got it right. I did wear that suit in the past but some praised the suit, not me. They say clothes make a man but in my case, it did not happen. In my friend's case, they not only praised the suit but him also. I am sure, he would have been praised even if he was not wearing simple clothes. The point is, I just can not take someone being praised in my presence.
    This happens because I think I am the best, or is it my ego?

Cheeniya likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

In Rajnikanth movie Padayappa, all friends including Rajnikanth and Senthil went to visit the bride for Senthil. Senthil accidentally falls into mud and his dhoti and shirt were damaged. He requests Rajni to lend his outfit as his looks really nice and Rajni readily agrees to lend him and wears Senthil's dhoti and shirt. On the way, everyone asks who is the bridegroom and everyone tells the one who looks smart in a nice outfit. Rajni keeps telling Senthil is the bridegroom but what he was wearing is his. Finally, Senthil gets frustrated and throws away Rajni's outfit and abandons his plan to see the bride and walks away with his inner garment.

I thought this incident was developed for comedy and I never thought it would happen in real life. Please refer to the thread where @Rihana found a way to avoid jealousy. Just don't lend your outfit to anyone and if you had no choice, lend only an ordinary suit when you would realize if your friend is praised, it is purely a complement for your friend. :)

umaakumar and HariLakhera like this.
  5. HariLakhera

Noted. Thanks, it resembles Rajnikanth movie. Well, I will take Rihana's advice in the future. The problem is it will not solve my habit of not liking anyone being praised in my presence whatever may be the reason. I am the best. hhahahahaha

Viswamitra likes this.