Can't Drive- Guilt

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by gankita, Oct 4, 2018.

1. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

I believe this is more of vent out post.

I got my driving license couple of year back in 1st attempt. I was very confident back then.
    Year later, health problems took toll over, and anxiety took over.
    Now, health ok- i drive very good on small roads(even driving instructor said so) but i get panic on highways, i cant drive above 40 or 45. I feel so so guilty. I mainly have fear of speed. Add o highways n high spped cars.

Feel so guilty n embarassed.
    I feel i am the only one here loser

cur123 likes this.

2. cur123

cur123 Senior IL'ite

it will take time . take baby steps .join the class again .and pls dont call yourself names .so many people can not drive that does not make them loser . all the best to you

3. Rojagarden

Rojagarden Platinum IL'ite

Don’t feel guilty. Everyone go through that initially driving in highways, man or woman. So you’re not alone. Driving becomes easier only with practice. No one is born an expert driver.

I assume you’re in outside India. USA? Take baby steps. Remember mostly everyone follows the speed limit and road rules. Take it one day at a time. Stay in the rightmost lane, usually the cars there are assumed to drive slowly. It’s ok if you go little less than speed limit initially. Make sure you drive atleast 2 miles on highway everyday. Start driving the first week when there is no traffic, in the afternoon. Then try to increase to 5 miles then 10 miles and then during heavy traffic time.

Most important: Ignore the people who say you’re bad driver. Be confident and focus only on improving your driving skill.

4. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

You got company! :):) Me.

I drive for many decades, but only to limited places...where I am used to the locations and its land marks like work, grocery store, doctor office, Mall, temple, friends house etc.

See, I have to trace my route mentally, ahead of my drive - :p:p:p limited 'motor' skill?

cur123, Sunshine04, gankita and 2 others like this.
  5. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

I am also sailing in the same boat. When I was pregnant, I stopped driving on freeways, and after pregnancy, I had some health issue. Nowadays I am anxious to drive on highways, so I always drive on the surface road.

cur123 likes this.
  6. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

Thanks everyone.
    tried so hard but not able to overcome this fear. I got license 7 years back

cur123 likes this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Don’t be...:)

I remember my first time driving in highways..burst out crying...Threw a tantrum with my husband..told him I will never touch a car again and climbed inside my blanket and cried and cried..... now it’s been 14 years..

So when you go on highways initially,do not do it alone.. go with your husband until you feel confident.

Secondly,obey the rules and never get a tad overconfident.We can not control others but control ourselves.

Third,relax and go with the flow..you will be a pro soon.If every Other person can drive..so can you:)

Good luck

cur123, shravs3 and Sunshine04 like this.
  8. Vickram

Vickram New IL'ite

You don't have to feel guilty over this. guilt arises only when you have made a mistake. You are still learning to drive more efficiently without fear .

You don't have to feel guilty about this. Most driving schools rush you in while making you learn. That is because they want to make easy cash. That's alright. You don't have to feel bad because of them . change your driving school or take the learning course again .

I am speaking from personal experience.

Good luck.