1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot Keep Up With The Younger Generation :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Feb 6, 2021.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I always wanted to be the cool mom..a friend to my daughter and her friends..but noooo!

Little did I know :smile:

As an example..My DD is 8 and it surprises me about the amount of knowledge she has with regards to iphones,apps plus kids are so smart and figure out so many things!I always ask for help to my DD to figure out things in my phone etc..

When I was young,I remember my mom saying that I know many things more than she does..now I know what she meant:)

Call it generation gap!

Be it their interests etc one tries to keep up and be aware ha ha but after a point..lol

I will always be a good mom to her and never her friend.I will be her confidante but need to accept the fact of "growing old gracefully".

Be it their dressing or interests...how much it varies!

I am going to reverse a proverb...one can actually look younger BUT we all grow old on the inside and it is actually a beautiful thing being matured and a sense of freedom..

Age should always be accepted and one looks and feels truly beautiful being who we really are!

Just journaling some thoughts...signing off..

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

One of your best writings, Anika.

The ease, the grace, the simplicity in the observations and their expression ... one word comes to mind: saralatā

My kid was 8 or 9, we were standing outside the Indian store. My iPhone's locked screen was showing the text in magnified form. So, I could not enter the unlock code. I tried everything I could. I was mad at the phone. Kid takes it and calmly taps fingers three times and gives it back to me.

Priceless: good mom - yes, friend - never, confidante - yes. Great if one realizes this when the child is just 8. : ) You are wise beyond your child's years. : ) That is like being one step ahead of the competition. : )

Wish I had FP nominations remaining.

P.S. A much deserved Bharat Ratna of compliments... Here goes:
    Such posts by you bring to the reader's mind a peace, calm and tranquility that our dear @iyerviji 's snippets do.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    satchitananda and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Aww..so sweet of you Rihana..felt so good..thank you:)

4. winterhue

winterhue Gold IL'ite

This is a great topic, because I have a teen daughter and I have reached a point where she is starting to "get" some of the "R" rated jokes that we see on TV (especially watching movies). She and me share glances and then burst out laughing, but my husband is clearly clearly uncomfortable to discuss these things.

Recently she came to me and told me "Do you know that I can hear you CLEARLY during the night when you "talk"? (and she did those air quotes) Can you both tone it down a bit before I get scarred for life? " . I was mortified and ecstatic at the same time - mortified because my daughter had to hear the "talk" and ecstatic because she felt comfortable enough to say such a scandalous thing to her own mom. So I am in no man's land right now, where I think we are becoming friends , but then there is that thin invisible line . Not sure if it will evolve further with age.

SunPa, Rihana and anika987 like this.