Canine Cloning from South Korea

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Paulina, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear dog lovers.....some heartening news ! ( Source AP news service )

An American woman received 5 puppies in late August 2008 that were cloned from her beloved late pit bull dog called Booger.She thus became the inaugural customer of a South Korean company that says that it is the world's first successful commercial canine cloning service.
    Seoul based RNL Bio said the clones of the dog Booger were born after being cloned in cooperation with a team of Seoul National University scientists who created the world's first cloned dog in 2005.RNL Bio is commencing its world wide services with Booger as its first successful clone.
    Booger's owner Ms Mc Kinney contacted scientist Lee Byeong-chun after Booger died of cancer in April 2006.She had earlier asked US- based Genetics Savings and Clone to clone her dog but the company shut down due to lack of demand and after producing a few cloned cats.
    The Korean scientists team brought the dog's frozen cells to Seoul in March and nurtured them before launching the formal cloning work in late May which resulted in Boogers descendants.
    Ms Mc Kinney , a screen writer who taught drama at US Universities, said she was especially attached to Booger because he had saved her life when she was attacked by another dog thrice his size.The incident left her with an amputated left hand and injuries to her leg nerves and stomach.Doctors later reconstructed her hand and she spent her recovery in a wheel chair.
    RNL Bio charges up to $150,000 for dog cloning , but Ms Mc Kinney had to pay only $ 50,000 as she was their first customer and helped with their publicity.
    When Ms Mc Kinney saw the puppies she was ecstatic and kept repeatedly shouting "It's a miracle!" She hugged the pups and exclaimed " Yes, I know you!You know me too!" The two surrogate mothers were both Korean mixed breed dogs!!

Well pals,this is a true story of a devoted Pet owner.We talk about a dogs loyalty and extoll it to the skies ......this lady went to the extent of literally bringing back her dear dead dog by resorting to cloning and spending a huge fortune .She got 5 pups in the bargain too!!
    The marvels of science will never cease to make us wonder!

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting news Paulina.. many pet owners do go to great lengths to try and keep the pet in memory and if possible near to them.
    Looks like this is an expensive way to be close to your pet and certainly not all can afford this.
    Thanks for sharing..

3. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Paulina Madam,

Very interesting !! Could understand her love to the Pet !!

With love,

4. Paulina

Yes AC , definitely agree ......this is far too expensive a route to take to keep a dear pet 's memory alive ....only meant for the Rich & Famous ofcourse....
    .......who knows this might get affordable some day for all .......remember the Cell phone?? Nowadays every one here ...maids & electricians & plumbers and even garbage collectors carry them .There is not a single house hold that does not own one ! So also some services may become affordable while new ones take over their place .

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pauli,

I spotted you here! Wondering where the hell are you!

I am head over heels for innovation. It generates curiosity, buyers, want, need, habit and once it becomes for the consumer, the value drops!

If many opt for 'cloning' the cost may drop as there will be clinics all around and competition gives opprotunities to consumers / clients from all ends.

It may not be affordable today, but one day, most of us may having it as an easy option.

Mobile Phones, Ovens, LCD's, Automobiles, luxurious holidays were once only the rich man's forte!

Can we say that today?

Pauli, my friend, thanks for sharing the information. With the clone, pups seems to be a lottery for her.

What a great way to show your love?

Everyone has money, how many of us can think out of the box!

I always believe, true love finds its way!

6. Paulina

Hi Malsy dear,

Yes, its long time NO SEE ! Great to meet here....the abode of the waggies !

Glad you liked the cloning idea.

Agree with you , as I had replied to AC also that the service may become affordable one day.Look at all the consumer goods available now to all .....
    what was once the realm of the rich is within easy reach of the common man today.

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Interesting news Paulina...
    sorry for coming this late to read this interesting one..
    as you and Mals had proclaimed that one day this will become cheaper for everyone to afford and have the cloning of their pet ones.
    I read somewhere in the news that one lady even mummified her pet to be with the pet..

sriniketan