1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Canine animosity!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 30, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala
    It's fun really to revisit my old threads thanks to you! It gives me an urge to start writing again but the laziness that is the hallmark of people of my age group (chitvish is a rare exception!), I contend myself only with staring stupidly at the key board!

Dogs are my favourite subject. It does not have be the hound of Baskervilles to scare the hell out of me. An incessantly barking Pomeranian can accomplish the same effect despite being one tenth of the size of the aforesaid hound! But I love observing their pointless movements and when they indulge in it, I try to figure out what motivates them to do that. There is a particular dog in my neighborhood which crosses the heavily congested road every half an hour darting across the speeding cars to just lie down at the other end!
    Inscrutable indeed are the ways of dog!
    Sri

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Many times I wish I could get into the mind of a dog to find out what they think. It is very difficult to find out how they feel on each occasion. I can't visualize how I would understand others or convey my feelings if all human beings do not have the capacity to talk. So far our human mind has gone to the extent of finding out that wagging tail means their happiness and tail between the legs means their fear for something. There are a very few actions of them we could guess but they almost guess everything that we are saying once they get used to our commands.

One thing that still puzzle me is about their instincts. M

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I carry an impression that canines understand our actions much better than what we are capable of doing of their actions. Other than understanding their wagging of tail and tail between the legs caused by happiness and fear respectively, we understand a few more of their actions. But once they get familiarized with our commands, they almost understand every word of what we speak. At home, if two people have an argument, they feel bad as they know something is wrong.

Chemistry at first sight or the hate for someone at first sight happens to us but mostly canines do not have an attitude or preference. Their general rule is whether they are familiar with a human or not. If they are not, they bark and if they are, they receive them with warmth. They do not differentiate.

Even though it is not a confirmed report, I heard that when Tsunami hit Thailand, India and Sri Lanka, the animals sensed it a little earlier and moved to safer locations. If this is true, we need to learn one or two tricks of survival from them.

Viswa

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa
    You have raised an interesting point there in saying " how I would understand others or convey my feelings if all human beings do not have the capacity to talk." If you take the age of human existence in this planet, only about a tenth of the period, he has been conducting his communications through spoken and written language. Before that it was all through signs and smoke signals. In fact, our ancestors of yore communicated with each other without the aid of a language. I understand a lot more when people give me a dirty look than when they speak to me! Languages can be misleading but not these looks.

What you say about dogs is very true. The canines have an uncanny knack of reading our innermost mind. God has blessed all the creatures who cannot communicate through words with this gift.
    Sri