1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Canine animosity!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 30, 2007.

1. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Sri... please don't mistake my occasional sprinkle as hosing a dog brutually. He's basically a good dog & frightened of losing his domain to me & I just gave him a sprinkle as he liked to lick water droplets & play with it & that kept him from barking at me. I would NEVER do such a thing if it did hurt him in anyway. All the dogs that I've met have never "feared" water... as they are natural swimmers they love water. They just don't like it to be forced into their nostrils for fear of asphyxiation (yet another survival trait).
    Showing who the boss is, is also seen in other behaviour like making you come down to his level to pet him or putting a paw on you to show you are indeed below him. Looking straight into his eyes & a firm "no" in the local dialect should tell him where his place is.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lavanya
    My sincere apologies for mistaking a playful act for the way the riot police control unruly mobs with high speed jets of water! Your understanding of canine behaviour is, to say the least, very deep and ever since I started talking to you on this subject I have moved a lot closer to the dogs!
    Thanks a lot!:)
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Kamla
    That was a great expression, canine challenged! I would have asked you to admit me as a member of that elite group but for the fact that my interactions with Lavanya have made me feel less challenged!
    I have also had that experience of dogs curling up against my legs and rubbing themselves against the same pat of my body. To be honest with you, those were the moments when I sat absolutely transfixed, not moving even my facial muscles! Almost statue like I would say! It is my motto to let not only the sleeping dogs lie but the curling ones too. I still remember vividly how I once tried to shuffle my right foot a little only to make him curl more comfortably but the look he gave me at this small disturbance could by no stretch of imagination be described as friendly!
    Sri

4. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear cheeniya,
    I never thought you could write a post on barking street dogs. I dislike all animals in close proximity and when i see the dog's race onthe street my heart skips a beat. I think the dogs can guess a doghater. whenever I enter any house which has a dog I findthe dog giving me a suspicious unfriendly stareand refusesto leave me alone. I liked Meenas explanation that dogs bark at ragpickers out of recognition. May be it is a "hi"bark!.
    Regards,
    meenu

5. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

dear lavanya
    wot i wrote abt dog biting incidences are real ones
    koti womens college hyderabad last yr exam students had to give their flesh and blood to stray dogs and it was shown on tv
    no action has been taken whn the incident repeated again and it was telecasted on tv
    the feeding of infants was shown on tv there was a camera man who was shooting some hospital review i beleive who shooted the whole story and telecasted on tv this took place in a govt hospital in AP
    wht so many ppl around dogs cud snatch small infants and run ????????
    god knws
    maybe darwins theory of existance shd answer :)

6. Cheeniya

Dear Meenu
    Dogs are as good a subject as any for a blog but honestly I did not expect such a serious discussion to ensue. One thing is very clear. Dog lovers outnumber those who have a canine allergy!

As far as the interpretation of the bark of a dog, I wont be comfortable unless I have the interpretation authenticated by Prof.Higgins!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Radha
    I too read that piece of news though I did not see the telecast. What a gory incident that was. But just because a few mad dogs indulge in such gruesome acts, it is unfair to hate the entire canine population.
    Dont we have humans who get into schools and shoot down innocent children mercilessly and for no reason? Do we hate all humans because of such insane humans?
    Sri

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Your comparison of the feeling of animosity with that of the dogs is superb! what made you to make that comparison? Is it that of mere human instinct or it is just flashed in you when your are writing this post?
    I think that it must be "poorva janma enemity" continued in this janma also that makes us feel irritated with some people we meet. It is better we don't know the reason or otherwise we may be..... They also say that it is for this reason God made us forget our poova janma niyabagam after we were born. God is great!
    I read in an article that explained -- each and everyone of us have an aura (unique to us)surrounding. we are not able to sense it in any way. If that aura and the aura of the person we see or meet matches we like them. If it doesn't, it is the other way.
    Regarding the barking of the dogs, it may be due to their natural way of expressing their disatisfaction if anybody crosses their territory. We also have a dog, which barks at cats (they don't even care about the dog, unless he chases them) birds and what else-- the mail van (for which he receives a dog biscuit from the mail man) cars and also at the people who are walking or jogging around the neighbourhood and whenever we step out to go somewhere he will be barking at the slight movement or sound nearby. this made my MIL to say that he is protecting the boss because the dog is loyal to the master. Maybe that is also one of the reasons for its barking at the rag-pickers.
    Even little things teach us something or the other. It is in our hands to analyse those and come to an understanding. ( siru pullum pal kuttha udhavum) if you how to use your brain. I think you are doing a lot in that manner, Hats off!
    Sriniketan

9. Cheeniya

Dear Sriniketan
    Poorva Janma enmity is a classic explanation for the dwesham we feel towards some people without any apparent reason. In fact, coming to think of it, poorva Janma enmity (or virodham?) comes out more vividly in our interactions with people than in poorva janma bandham. Right you are about God's decision to deny us the memories of previous birth! Had that not been done by Him, I wonder how many heads I would love to chew off in my next birth!
    There have been quite a number of FBs to my thread suggesting some reason or other for canine behaviour. I now realise how wrong I was in suggesting in my thread that Dogs barked at rag pickers without reason!
    My apologies to my canine friends for my unreasonable and unfair assumptions about their expressions!
    Sri

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Sir!
    As I was reading this article I was assured of one thing! I must have been a rag-picker in my last “jenma”!
    The reason is the neighbor’s dog! When they moved in about three-four years ago every time I ventured out the dog would bark its head off! I thought pretty soon it should get used to me and my scent but even today when I am in my yard the dog continues to bark!! So logical conclusion from you thread is that!
    Good analogy! Yes there is no logical explanation why immediately dislike a person or vice versa!
    Humorous article and says a lot about your observations! J!