1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Canine animosity!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 30, 2007.

1. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Wow so many people who are afraid of dogs... give them time to know you (I don't mean the rabid ones) & perhaps if you brought one up from a pup it may alleviate your fears.

Vidya, "We get the goverement we deserve, we get the canines we deserve." - that is the same thing I tell all my friends & family when they complain about govt or canines. I just couldn't believe my eyes that someone else would say the exact thing too. :)

Radha, if it is possible you should report such dogs that feed on human flesh to the local authorities so they can put them down. It is NOT normal behaviour for a dog to bite humans especially for hunger, though they may be starved. They must be rabid dogs & need to be taken care of immediately. Also its not wise to fight such dogs without proper equipment - a stone may not be enough. Stay safe. Stray dogs are created most often due to humans. When people don't want to take care of a dog anymore they let it loose on some street. I hope there'll be more people taking the initiative to spay & neuter them & not put them through a lifetime of misery.

L.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vandhana
    It may not be animosity in your case unless they bark regularly at you! Otherwise it could be resentment that you enjoy your freedom in the wide world but it is confined behind a fence!
    But I think life would be pretty dull without stray dogs or 'loose' dogs as you prefer to call them. They have a fascinating world of their own. When a bully chasesa timid one how the latter tucks its tail between its legs! They are certainly far more expressive than humans!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    That the dogs are always keen to establish their supremacy is a new twist! Recalling some of my past encounters with them, I now realise that what you say is absolutely true considering that about 95% of the chennai dogs have proved beyond reasonable doubt that they are my bosses! I have not had the pleasure of coming in contact with the remaining 5%

Your using the hose to silence a petulent dog is indeed ingenious! This brings us to another aspect of canine behaviour. I mean their fear (or hatred?) of water. I do hope that someone would clarify this point too!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    It is now a well documented fact that dogs can easily locate a person who is not very comfortable with them. If they follow you , it can be either to make sure that your fear gets compounded or to erase that unjustified fear. I mean unjustified according to them. And I am quite aware of the fact that Marina dogs can be very persistent and can follow you upto the end of the world. Havent we seen the dog following Dharma even to the Heavens!

But I find it odd that Vish disowns you and walks away at the sight of a dog following you. Maybe its your shriek that scares the wits out of him. I think that next time it happens, you should resist your temptation to exercise your vocal chord but instead tell him gently, "Yenna! Idaparungo, pinnadiye vandindirukku". You may add a Saniyan to idaparungo for effect! Knowing him as I do, that approach will make him shift his stern look from you to the dog!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    That was a great historical perspective of canine behaviour. I was overawed that you could trace it back to the neanderthal and cromagnon men! I tend to agree with you there.
    In retrospect, it was good that our ancestors picked the milder of the wolves to be their security agent. I am sure that they had a wider choice there and it was quite uncanny that they picked dogs and not a rhino or a fox. Maybe this thought has occurred to some modern minds and from TV Channels like, Animal Planet, we find that anything on four legs or even creepy ones without any legs can be domesticated!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    It must be only Poorva Janma Bandham as dogs are reported to have the ability to look beyond their present life! It must have observed you toiling hard on the land as a farmer or something in the last birth and must have decided to give you some well-earned rest in this Janma! Hence, it drives you out of the garden without a blade of grass being tended by you through the only means it knows, barking incessantly!
    This story is as heart warming as Madhumati!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Radha
    You have brought out another important aspect of canine preference! Old shoes and unwashed socks are the greatest favourite of dogs and if a perennial supply of these can be assured, they will be at total peace with themselves!
    About dogs feeding on humans , it is a rare occurence.
    We have a retired IAS officer in Chennai who is indeed a multifaceted personality. He reviews music, gives cricket commentary in Tamil and gives religious discourses too. His only son died bitten by their own house dog when the child was playing with it. No one knows why and how such things happen but such incidents do increase our fear of dogs
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear Chitra
    Havent you seen that dogs have this habit of chasing each other at breakneck speed all of a sudden? Some of them get run over by vehicles in this mindless racing. That's why any mindless race to the top in an organisational hierarchy is likened to a dog race!
    But the other fascinating aspect of this sudden racing among dogs is the manner in which humans avoid coming in their racing track by jumping out of their way or hiding behind a tree! The deftness shown in these acts defy age and state of health!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya (again!)
    Thanks for stepping in and contributing some valuable FB.
    I have realised after posting my lead thread that there is more to canine behaviour than I cared to learn. I am pretty wiser now and feel bold enough to calm a racing dog by patting him on the back!
    sri

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

As for the animosities of the canine sort Cheeniya, must repeat Vandhana's words, we neither have the stray dogs nor the rag-pickers here. Postman is another matter, dogs need not be stray to bark at the government appointed postmen...may be it only goes to prove the point you are making about the poorva janma bandhams. They were somehow related I guess!
    As for me, I am canine challanged! My girls and hubby love dogs and resigned helplessly at my vehement denial to adding a dog to our family. Thankfully for them, we lived with the Germans who seemed to love their dogs more than their children. And as such, I, rather their dogs, did much inter-action with me. They sense alright, they always and always curled themselves around my legs and feet and cozied themselves closest to me!
    May be I am just nice, no animosities:) !!! A consoling thought, if not a comfortable one!

L, Kamla