1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Can We Use Cast Iron Pans For General Cooking? Any Alternatives For Non Stick Pans?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by gknew, Oct 8, 2017.

1. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Nonya ,thanks for the prompt reply. But how our ancestors were able to lead a healthy life & they were quite active even at their ripe age.i had seen my grandmother rising early & doing cooking at the age o 70+. The cooking is done by her for the entire family.My ma & chitti after taking care of children will take bath & enter the kitchen. They will do everything after that.The children were not so pampered as in these days.In the evenings so many dosas to be prepared. Unannounced guests will come.So even now if i think of them only their working in the kitchen will come to my mind.Sometime my mothers reading books in the late hours of night.But i had never seen them unpleasant while doing the domestic core.That had added positive energy to the food. May be all the negative effects nullified.
    The Eeeya Chombu rasam pots are meant for preparing rasam only in most of the households. Were they not aware of its side effects ?
    Whatever we do , the destiny can't be changed. We takes so many precautions to prevent BP,Sugar etc.Here comes the Devil- Cancer unawares & non diagnosed fora long time. Mostly it is identified in Stage 3 or 4 only. No symptoms at the same time so many minor problems which no one will immediately associate with cancer.Even in my case just God helped me to note the reddish color urine which would have been simply ignored as due to heat as there was abnormal hot climate in Chennai. I had never drink water bottles at a time in my life time. How can one expect that it is a symptom of cancer in a hot climate ?
    But as u said Yoga & pranayam are the best medicines in this modern world where we have to live with modern gadgets , Cook in toxic metals, radiation based stoves , external air pollution , internal job & domestic stresses etc.Also a Good heart devoid of negative feelings, some charities & faith in God /Guru will ,if not prevent the effects of our past prarptha Karmas but equip us with tremendous mental,spiritual strength to face & bear any thing.
    " The woods are lovely,dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before I sleep"

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

As the number of people have increased, so has the pollution in air, water, and food. Perhaps all of your relatives were long-living statistical outliers. The life span of people in India used to be very low a few decades ago; now it is in the mid 60's, isn't it ?

Statistics released by the Union ministry of health and family welfare show that life expectancy in India has gone up by five years, from 62.3 years for males and 63.9 years for females in 2001-2005 to 67.3 years and 69.6 years respectively in 2011-2015. Experts attribute this jump — higher than that in the previous decade — to better immunization and nutrition, coupled with prevention and treatment of infectious diseases. Life expectancy in India goes up by 5 years in a decade - Times of India

3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Cook with iron and stainless steel pans. Don't use nonstick.
    I have made curries in cast iron pans.
    Its heavy. So handling is tough.

gknew likes this.
  4. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Do you mean stainless steel by ever silver??

5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Yes. The first time I heard "eversilver" to refer to stainless steel was in Chennai India. I think that is how they call it in their colloquial language. The toxicity comes from chromium and also from nickel content of the stainelss steel. Steel is magnetic, and has a different structure called ferritic; stainless-steel is austenitic (sic?). The addition of the chromium to make it non-magnetic also gives it a different structure. I remember ladies in india would check the street vendor's claim of stainless-steel with their own quality control test. Pull out the fridge-magnet and see if it sticks to the pot. If it sticks it is not stainless steel. It is all complicated; we could blame the discovery of fire for such troubles we go through.

6. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Nonya, well said.The discovery of fire is the main reason for all the ills.Otherwise we will be going with raw fruits ,vegetables ,aval (puffed rice) , ground nuts,dry fruits etc.I tried this diet. I took meals in the afternoon. I skipped breakfast & dinner, I take fruits for BF,Red aval with grams & dry fruits mixed with Jaggery for dinner. Some soup between BP & lunch.But due to my illness, i became very tired . Doctor also advised me that my intake should be more as i was undergoing Chemo.then i started taking proper dinner.Morning i confined to fruits.My Yoga master never eats cooked food. Only raw things only.He used to say that too in a very harsh language " why u people are so particular about food ? Will u die if u skip ur food one or two times.Don't dump ur stomach"
    What do u men by SS is austenitic (sic?) ?
    The life expectancy has increased But at what cost? My grandpa died at 55,father also at 55 & paternal uncle also at 62.My aunt eldest of all at 93 or so alive.Even i am 66. What is the use ? Medicines & medical wonders prolong the age & not real health.My paternal aunt 80 yrs, whenever i talk requests me to pray to God for showing a way as she suffers a lot. I used to say "chitti, even the the part of seconds for the end is decided by God.Think of Him & try to live in peace."
    Very few people are really healthy. Others are having many health issues & their Karma is not over .They just live depending on medicines & relatives.
    "The woods are lovely,dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before i sleep"

7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

You are indeed in good humor, miss. venlax. I say that both medicines and relatives can be good, questionable, or bad. When the situation is too painful to go on, one must surely have the blessings of either good medicines, or good relatives who can ease the pain... or end it.

Indians in America (where I live) have payote. Good medicine, according to many ancestors, who had used it in pain-killing as well as prayers. In India there are equivlanets, but there is a social stigma against smoking, especially women smoking. I wish there weren't any.
    I wish you the best of meds and relatives.

8. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

9. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Dear Nonya, There are pain killers , Good relatives etc in India also. Palliative care units are also there.I recently read one article where they say why some medicine which is a best pain killer is not used in India nowadays.As u said not only the social stigma but also the joint family system where elders prefer to adjust & live in their own homes with the children & grandchildren only.But at the same time they suffer from guilt that they are causing inconvenience to others. Nowadays all kind of domestic.nursing help is also available for some cost. People used to be very active till their health permits . So the in activeness & the dependence makes them think life is not worthwhile.Some face things with courage & inexplicable spiritual strength . We have a lot of slogans/Prayers in our religion which can eradicate the disease,ease the pain ,give spiritual strength to tolerate the pain etc. Most of the family members take care of their parents/in laws with commitment. What i mean to say is the quality of life is lost & only a quantitative life is to be spent in case of critically ill patients. That gives them mental disturbance.Let God bless all !
    "The woods are lovely,dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before i sleep"

10. annmeevz

annmeevz New IL'ite

Thank you all..very informative