1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Can we study on H4 status? Or need to change to F1?

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by josh, Aug 24, 2006.

1. raji651

raji651 Senior IL'ite

Re: Any H4 to F1 cases here ?

Hi All,
    I am Raji. I have a masters degree in English. I am in my h4. I decided to do nursing course in georgia. First thing you have to do is to evaluate your credentials to US standards. I did that and when it came to the fee part there came the bomb. Unless you have a green card you have to pay International fee which is 4 times higher than the instate fee. So i am still thinking what to do:bang .

Raji

2. himanadendla

himanadendla Silver IL'ite

Raji

Not sure how it works for your univeristy.I did my masters on H4 visa with instate fee.
    My university eligibility is that we need to file previous year taxes the same state and some documents proof (bank statement/ mailing address so forth).
    My husband filed taxes in my state the previous year so I had the privilage to pay instate tution fee. So do check with u r univeristy .Good luck

Regards
    Hima

3. lalithabrahma

lalithabrahma Bronze IL'ite

Re: H4 to F1 Conversion - Questions

Hi Kanthi

Congrats! on getting admission! I would first consult withe the lawyer who did I-140 about pros and cons of changing status to F1. Each case is different. Pl be courageous to discuss your issue and then consider the change of status. Otherwise you might run into problems in I-485.

Thanks
    lalitha Brahma

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  4. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Hima,

My university eligibility is that we need to file previous year taxes the same state and some documents proof (bank statement/ mailing address so forth).

Thnx for sharing that. I have a small question. Can you clarify please ?
    Did you and your husband file tax jointly or independently ?
    My univ wants me to have filed the taxes independently, whcih wudnt have been possible given that I didn't work and am on H4. Can you tell us all ?

5. raji651

raji651 Senior IL'ite

Hi Hima
    Thank you for the info. I will check with the university.

Raji

6. himanadendla

Hi Raji
    No Problem

Regards
    Hima

7. himanadendla

MeenLouch

We file our taxes jointly as H4 we are not eligible to file independently.Some university are not aware of the visa's even my univeristy did not understand the H4 status , but the International university office got involved and resolved the issue. I paid out of state first and then they refunded me the money after they verified all the documents and status. I dont exactly remember what the issue was.

Please let me know if further details needed

Hima

8. laksh24

laksh24 New IL'ite

Re: Can we study in H4 status?

Hi,

Can one work legally if enrolls in a master's program in pvt universities?? and also is the person eligible for work if enrolls for certification course??

Regards.

Lak

9. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

Re: Can we study in H4 status?

Helo everyone..

I have a M.Com degree from India and want to do some course which would land me with some job later on.But I am terribly confused about what course to do.If there is anyone having a similar degree plz get in touch with me so that we can figure out what to do.

Thanks

10. aswalik

aswalik Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am very new to this forum.I am in a dilemma.Mine is a different version.I did my BSc and was working in IT firm for past 2 years.Now i came to US after resigning and i am in H4.I wish to do MS or any other PG course.Also thinking of applying H1 next year.Please advice what can be done

Thanks in advance
    Aswali