1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Can we roll and store the chapatis without cooking.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by nine9, Nov 12, 2012.

1. nine9

nine9 Junior IL'ite

Hi,
    I have 8 people arriving for dinner. I am somewhat slow in making chapatis. Can I make the dough, roll out the chapatis and store them in refrigerator. So that I can just cook the chapatis on stove top when they arrive.
    Or can I cook the roti and microwave them when the guests arrive.
    refrigeration will be for 3-4 hrs not more than that.
    Please suggest some method. I dont have hot pot or crock pot.

2. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Yes you can...i tried both the ways.

For guest i cooked and microwave it..i was not satisfied with the results much but it was ok...Mine was more than 25 chappathi...so i microwaved. I fyou can heat it on thawa...it works fine with cooked it.

For Hubby i roll and store it in freezer for 3months, when i went to India...It was easy for him to cook on pan when he need it...

After my return i had few left out& i cooked it on pan after 3month...it was super fresh and soft.

3 people like this.
  3. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi gokusha,
    Can you explain how you stored uncooked chapathis in freezer? Wrapped in silver paper?

4. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

I knead and roll it asusal , inbetween each chappathi place a square shape wax paper...

So that it will not stick and easy to remove while you are ready to cook on pan...i pack say some 3servings (9chappathies)in big foil paper, wrap and store it in freezer together...this way it stays free and good..

All the best.

3 people like this.
  5. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

For guests I make this palak parantha which stays nice & soft & everyone Loves it.

so 2 cups of atta, 1 bunch of fresh palak in the grinder with 3 tb sp of plain yogurt , some milk , 1 green chilli & some ginger. Once grinded add this to atta as needed and if you need more liquid add milk. Make the dough and keep aside for atleast 1/2 hour. After that put 1 tb sp of oil on the dough & knead it again. Now go ahead and make paranthas with little oil & store them in hot casserole. Once the guests arrive & I am ready to serve I take the paranthas 9 which are still warm) and heat them in microwave for few mins & they are soft & delicious.

6. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

This thread will save me a lot of time and frustration ! :) Next time I am in the cooking mood I will make a bunch of parathas and freeze them

7. srimaauro

srimaauro Senior IL'ite

Hi ,

i saw your idea. Can you tell me how you remove and cook it, directly from freezer or you wait till it reaches roomtemperature

8. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

You can cook directly taking out from freezer.

9. wherenext

wherenext Junior IL'ite

i prefer cooking the chapathis...rolling them in aluminum foil and then storing it fridge...i just take them out and microwave it for 20 sec.