1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

can we preserve chopped onion and veg in refrigerator

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kshema, Nov 5, 2014.

1. kshema

kshema Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I have to prepare breakfast and lunch box for my husband around 8 am itself. I have 5 months baby and difficult to manage. I have food processor and I do chopping veg in night itself.my question is
    1.if I keep the chopped vegetables in refrigerator for one week do it lost its contents or I can keep?
    2.Can I keep chopped onions in refrigerator for two days or one week?
    3.What and all I can prepare and keep in refrigerator to make my work easy and fast..

2. kshema

kshema Bronze IL'ite

Many views no reply

3. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

if you keep chopped onion inside the fridge whole fridge will smell

don't do ....

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

A few days you can keep (in air tight container) but veggies start to wilt as soon as they are cut. It is important to have clean hands/utensils as bacteria start to grow when you have cut the veggies. One way is to prepare the dish and then store the dish in refrigerator or in freezer.

5. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

You can freeze it. yumsmiley

6. 2babymom

2babymom Bronze IL'ite

Yes. You can keep it in a refrigerator but be sure to keep it in a glass storage container with lids. I did that some days ago successfully.

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I use an onion keeper to store leftover cut onions. The fridge doesn't smell bad because of the airtight onion keeper. I suggest you find air tight containers and keep one specifically for onions. For other veggies, I always chop and put it all in ziploc bags separately before refrigerating. I don't know about keeping chopped veggies in the fridge for a week because of power cuts in India but I had a power backup in my apartment and chopped veggies in the fridge stayed good for 3-4 days. I didn't keep any beyond that.
    I also suggest chopped greens(unwashed - wash before use or washed and moisture removed thoroughly)/ garlic etc in airtight containers. You could also keep cooked dal etc in the fridge and just use it for sambar the next day.

Hth,
    L

2 people like this.
  8. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Invest on a good knife ( like this one http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-8-Inch-Cooks-Knife/dp/B00009ZK08 ). It is amazing what a good knife can do and your chopping time will go down so much.

It doesn't take more than 30 seconds to chop onions ( large ones ).

When vegetables are cut and kept, they lose lot of the nutrients, particularly onions.

Keep experimenting with different knifes until your find the one.

1 person likes this.
  9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I keep finely grated carrots, coarsely grated zucchini on hand in fridge for veg pancakes which I make for breakfast. Those two I think you can get a week out of it. I think the squashes and pumpkins you could cut in big pieces for cooking and they should store. Tomatoes, celery....quality will diminish. If you have access to frozen chopped spinach, that is a real time saver and economical.

10. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

i keep chopped onions in a ziploc bags. It stays fine for a couple of days with no smell in the fridge. Generally, i cut veges as i need so don't require to store it, but sometime would store it in an airtight container.
    Anyway, don't keep raw cut things in the fridge for more than a day. If you need to keep it longer, put it in zip loc bag (the one that locks) and keep it in freezer. That way it will stay fine for months. Before using just let it thaw outside for 15-20 mins.