1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Can we give handpound rice kanji as first food?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by ridgemma, Jan 16, 2010.

1. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Dear moms

The nutritional benefits of handpound rice surely surpass those of white rice...can we give this rice porridge to infants or is it suited only to adults?

My ppl are asking me to give parboiled rice porridge first..and is my guess right - it is this handpound rice taht finally gets processed to be raw rice or boiled rice?

HAve any of you given handpound rice porridge to your infants??

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi, we did try red matta hand pound, but DS could not handle it. But then he could not handle most of the rice till he was around 1 year. If your child does handle it well, that is a good way to start rice. Especially brown and red rice for its iron content.

3. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Thanks tikka for that reply...saw the red matta rice discussion.planning to give her runy first for one time...will soon post about the results

4. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Dear friends
    Gave puppy kanji,around 11 morn, for the second day..consistency is that of cerelac...and fed her with 1 oz of warm water thereafter...was able to feed her 1 spoon..looks like she is okay with the taste...me added a lill salt and omam..

another half-hour I give her gripe water for digestion and her potty schedule didn't change...so far so good...in another week or so, must stop gripe water and look if she is fine...

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

But isnt gripe water also omam water - sorry about my ignorance. I thought they were both the same thing.

6. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Tikka
    I am givin woodwards gripe water,previously was giving bonnisan but found former better...sorry, Gripe water I meant "off the shelf", not the homemade one...

yah, omam added in flour also aids in digestion...but I don want puppy to suffer of indigestion due to new food, so givin her gripe water...

omam & gripe water...too much digestion & my baby feelin hungry every 1.5 hrs...can this be a cause ???:confused2:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

gemma, dont know anything about them. I assumed all gripewater was omam water. . Good your LO liked it.

8. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

4-5 solid feeds for 4 months infant

Dear Mommies
    After today's visit, Paed asked me to increase cereals to 4-5 feed,give mashed carrots,peas,potatoes...calculating P's age from EDD, she is just 4 months complete....me too wondering..can she handle so many solid feeds???

Currently I am giving her rice kanji once a day...What should I do? Follow paed's advice as he has been cin her since birth or start gradually???

Help please

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: 4-5 solid feeds for 4 months infant

I think you should stick to 1 solid feed a day for another 2-3 months (ie. 6-7 months corrected age) and then start another solid feed. Around 9-10 months or even later is a good time to start the 3rd solid feed. More milk than solids are needed until 1 year anyway. Carrots, beetroot, apples, bananas, ragi are all good for the next 2-3 months. Try one at a time and do wait for 4-5 days before introducing anything new. there really isnt any need to introduce solids in a hurry.

Vanathi.

10. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Thank you V for the reply, even my take was the same...

But being a paed why did he urge to increase solid feeds, and Anitha's paed saked to start cereals for a her boy (preemie, think one month adjusted complete)..I feel being a paed with superspeciality, he wouldn't have said those blindly,just want to understand the logic...

So preemies start solids earlier and the justification given is since preemies are exposed to milk early, their systems are mature...is that a buyable one??

Why is there is a sea of difference when all authorities advocate one principle?? cannot generalise though,case to case differs...

just curious to know....:bonk