1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can We Checkin Liquid Formula In Flight

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Jas82688, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

hello ladies experienced moms,

My baby is 11 mon old in India staying with grandparents .. we are in us traveling to Indian to India for vacation .

Can we checkin liquid formula in flight does it stays safe or gets spoiled ..?

The reason am asking is we have some plans to visit diff places in India where it's hard to get hot water n sterilized water for making formula with powder so was thinking If we can take liquid formula with us ..

does any one has taken liquid formula in check in and it's still same in good condition .

I dint know about how corgo temperature can effect the formula ..

please let me know ur ideas .. and in flight when my kid left from here we have sent liquid formula in cabin so it was easy without making bottles cleaning ..

2. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Not sure about the formula question..
    But when i travelled, i got an electric kettle (110-220 V convertible options available on amazon) and packaged water, boiled water in my hotel room and used it to make formula.. they are some really good thermos which will keep the water hot for a long time..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    sindmani likes this.
  3. hino

hino Silver IL'ite

keetle is the best option. Most hotels provide though.
    Kinley and Aquafina is trusted brands and available even in remote villages..

sindmani likes this.
  4. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Yes the liquid formula the ones u get from store will stay good not u making it and bring in bottle ... u can make at the plane as well but as u said cleaning will be big probl n carrying them better use n throw..

5. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Thank you for your reply .. since my kid is in India I can't take liquid formula in cabin where temperature is suitable for storing formula so I have to put it in checkin baggage so here my concern is does the fomula stay good and not get spoiled .. ? I want to use these bottles during the journey in India and while return back to US in flight ( that time I can keep it in cabin since baby will be with me ) ..

6. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the tip .. i will try this option .. one more concern I have is I have to sterilize baby bottles I have microwave sterilizer but where we go may not have a microwave facility .. how do u sterilize baby bottles outside during the journey ..

7. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your reply will check these items ..

8. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

It will not spoil if u r worried of that u can carry in the cabin .. temp in cargo I think it's cold ..

9. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

You dont need microvave to sterilize bottles. Boiling water can be used ({{Cleaning and sterilising baby bottles}})

When I traveled, I used to carry formula ( powder not liquid), lot of sterilized bottles (many), thermos/flask.
    In flight, you will get hot water. That's easy to make formula. Or you can get hot water from coffee shops in airports.

They wont allow to carry more than 100ml liquid, I think. They check even the formula. I made formula once in airport and they checked it many times at the security gate. But you can carry liquid formula in checking bag. They may check it in US ( you will get TSA notice or card that indicate that they checked it . Use TSA approved lock for easy management. I noticed this card many times when ever I carry something similar to liquid)

If you are travelling outside, or if you are going to stay in hotel, sterilize the bottles using boiling water if microwave is not available. (carry all cleaning tools).
    With some planing it is possible to manage.

sindmani likes this.
  10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi

Baby formula is exempt from the liquid limit to carry on flights. You will just need to run them through security separately and the agents might check it, if the quantity is more than 3.4 oz.

As someone else mentioned, I would highly recommend a thermos with warm water and disposable bottle liners to not have to deal with washing bottles in the flight. It can get quite inconvenient to wash bottles in that tiny sink that airplanes are equipped with.