1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

can v giv Milkbikis biscuit as a first food for 5 months old??

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by charmingpooh, Jan 8, 2010.

1. charmingpooh

charmingpooh Bronze IL'ite

Hi ALL

My DD is completed her 4 months and starting 5 months.. As my mom suggested milkbikis biscuit to give her as a first food for som weeks.. i don know wat to giv as a first food. I am givin BM only upto nw... pls suggest me wat 2 start.

Many thnx
    Poornima

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Milk Bikis or any biscuits are certainly not first foods. To know what to give please do look at the sticky on starting solids and also look at wholesomebabyfood.com. Usual first foods are rice cereal, ragi, bananas, apples, avocados.

Vanathi.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Yep, what Vanathi said. Way too much sugar and it will set you up with a lot of eating issues later. I would suggest you wait for another month or so when your baby is closer to 5.5 to 6 months before you start solids. Here are links to healthy weaning food. We did not start with rice cereal, but with sweet potatoes first and then apple sauce, then added rice because we wanted to introduce mineral rich food first.
    Mother-2-Mother.com
    Introducing Solids to Your 6 month to 8 month old Baby, Learn about introducing solid foods with tips, solid food charts for introducing solids at 6 through 8 months old.

4. charmingpooh

many thnx for d suggestions 2 both f u..links r very useful. BTW very silly,wat s rice cereal?? hw 2 prepare it??

thnx
    poornima

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sorry for hijacking but, vanathi, tikka i came across this link.... do they mean they are adding seasonings and spices to the food of a 6 month old?
    Baby food revolution: New rules for feeding your baby | BabyCenter

i have seen zoey eyeing our foods a lot, and i dont think i can pull it off to start solids from 6th month, guess 5 months or so wld work for us

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

CP, it could be readymade cereal like Nestum or Farex or whatever you prefer or just plain rice kanji. We roasted a bit of rice and processed it in the blender to make rice flour. We boiled a table spoon of rice floor in around 3 oz of water for making 2 oz of rice cereal.
    Poonam, we did introduce jeera, ajwain, cinnamon, elaichi and pepper to the child. Not garam masala and chillies, but almost everything else, one by one. It is believed that children get a taste of the spices in your bm, not sure how true it is. To me bm smelled and tasted the same always. We also did salt while introducing solids. But we dont add too much to mask the natural flavours of the food. So the really strong one (garlic, ginger), we waited till he turned 18 months

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Not for a 6 month old I think but for older babies. I started regular rasam for DS at around 8 months. Also started upma (with seasoning) at around the same time. A month or two later we did chicken, mutton, kootu (stew), and veggies as made for the family ie. with all seasonings except spice.. I only held back on the chillis until about 1 year - after that he has been eating everything that we ate. So yeah I agree that baby food need not be bland; but not when we first start it.

V.

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

9. charmingpooh

hi all

i m reading all d thread related to it and little bit confused..

shall i start marie biscuit and readymade cerelac?? is it ok for 5 month??

thnx
    poornima

10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

CP, I wont do the biscuit at all. It is empty calories, no nutrition at all. I would intro cereals later- rice constipates and start offwith veggies and fruits