1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Can staying healthy be a primary reason for not taking up a job?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by abc00, Aug 17, 2013.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,

Im posting this in fitness section because I want to get answers from like-minded people.

Initially I could not work in US due to visa issues. That time depression could make way into my life easily and my biggest challenge was to take care of myself and not worry about anything else. When I got into family way I gained weight and lost confidence. It was a tough battle to restore these two. Ultimately I could do it - lost weight and gain confidence !!:cheers

When kids were young, I did not have clarity of ideas as to why Im doing something or how my decisions were taken. Now kids are in middle school and I get time for myself and some clarity in life and actions. To combat negative thoughts I started exercising and started looking good and felt great. In this process eating and staying healthy became top priority in my life (unknowingly).

Now I can work but when I see friends who work ( no offence to working ladies !) I see that their priorities are different. Not all, but mostly, women do not have time to eat proper food or take care of themselves. Im not getting any opportunities as of now to work but Im trying to somehow.

At the back of my mind I have some thoughts which primarily focus on my health. I feel that I cannot get my time exclusively when I get to work. The very thought of not exercising makes me cringe and I get cranky.

Anyone with similar experience?

2 people like this.

2. suganvijay

suganvijay Platinum IL'ite

Hi abc00,
    I'm not as experienced as you are or havnt accomplished my health(Fitness) to that great extent. But I was a IT professional worked for a reputed company for major banking clients in US. I used to feel great and proud of myself for having such a prestigious job and so did my family. But time came when I got in to married life. I started unalancing. I couldn sail in 2 boats at a time. there are a lot many or say millins of woman who are well versed in doing this. But personally I couldnt do it. I lost health Factor may be It become Zero (Not in Size ;) ) I started taking pressures from Family and friends.. I couldnt imagine myself healthy anymore.. I felt I was tied with chains. though my Family was not at all dependable on my income.. I was spending it lavishly on me. there came a point where I wanted to get pregnant and because of my unhealthy eating at office and unhealthy sleep patterns.. I became a victim of PCOD. It was a major set back where I had to think I'm I doing the right thing! And I started falling to the other side of "Stay at home Wife" and i got a chance to do it also.. I went with hubby abroad for 2 to 3 months. and that's where I found a huge difference!! I was happy less fights, less stress, more ME time. And We conceived as well. And then I found that Im a person who likes SAHM and not a working woman! This is my experience in my current state.. may be it can change as time flies.. and when my kids grow older... But at the end of the day I'm happy with the decision I took. :)

3 people like this.
  3. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Dear abc00,
    Health is wealth . You have asked replies from like-minded people but here I am trapped in a big cave called job where there is entrance and no exit.
    As you have told, my priority is not health. I have many more. Like taking care of DDs in the little time i have, cooking as per their wish , help them with their studies, reach office in time , face pressures there etc etc . Being six-day week I have to do misc. work on Sunday only which is an added pressure. And I can't go to my mother's place or a vacation whole heartedly because this thought of coming back again to office is there in my mind. Of course, there r many women who balance office and work excellently but I am a failure here. At a stage I got depressed but slowly came out of it and the result is that my health has been spoiled due to all these. I have no time to take care of my health , no ME time. Sorry if I had disappointed anyone but I needed to vent out.

1 person likes this.
  4. chocogal26

chocogal26 Platinum IL'ite

The Most important thing i learned is :- Nothing is more important than health...if your health is good and you are in good state of mind....you can achieve anything.

2 people like this.
  5. SSSGupta

SSSGupta Gold IL'ite

Hi abc,

You are thinking exactly right(at least from my point of view) You should not work just because ur frns/relatives or others are working and u r not...... If u r enjoying ur current life and financially u r ok , u should enjoy ur life.....

I am working (work from home though) having a kid and staying in US.... here no household help, kids managing, work pressure and all household work... and I wanna loose weight also... that made me crazy and recently I had a car accident due to over occupied mind... (though we all r fine)... so u can think How I am enjoying.... I am happy but not more than u must be.... So my point is.. If u hapy in current stage why to change that.........

I wanna spend my life as a housewife housemom ... whatever it is.... and I will do it in next few years... definitly when I ll jhave second kid....so be happy and dont bother urself untill is required...

I am sorry if I hurt anyone or dont match with anyone's thought but just described my views :)

Love
    SG

1 person likes this.
  6. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Thanks to friends who replied. I too was very ambitious before I got married. I always wanted to have a career for myself. Being a housewife was the last thing I could even think of but destiny had something else for me. I used to regret so much for staying at home and felt that like a sin. I lost charm and enthusiasm in life and that is when exercise came as a rescue to me. I cannot describe how much my life changed after that and even my outlook towards life. I never realised the importance of health until I lost it and regained it.

I continue to enjoy the bliss of health and will take up a job if it comes my way, that means, Im not going to end up being sulky if I cannot make it there.

2 people like this.
  7. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

Hi

Ia m in exactly in same state as yours except i haven't regained my health.
    Worrying about career, i had lost my health too and now i feel very weak, lethargic.
    Can u pls guide how you took care of your health.

8. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

abc,

It's not about working or non-working. It's more about awareness.

If a person is healthy with no other issues especially with Indian background, they don't tend to give importance to fitness. There more obsessed with kids, cooking for them and other stuff. Last priority is there own fitness. Actually its more of our Indian culture where we don't tend spend time our self.

Even though I work with less stress job, but I'm also obsessed with my eating healthy and doing some exercise everyday. This takes priority in my life than anything else.
    Once you experience importance of doing everyday exercise then you don't leave it.Simple other women are not experienced benefit out of it.

This is common scenario in most of the Indian households.

Friday night wife and husband watch movie (late night)and then wake up Saturday morning ,husband goes to GYM/tennis and wife stays back home and take care of things.

In American house hold ,both wife, husband and kids go to walk or GYM.

1 person likes this.
  9. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

@gankita,

I set my priorities based on a common logic. I see a situation and classify it as controllable or uncontrollable. I deciced that my joblessness is way beyond my control. US visa regulations played bad and was the reason. I needed many positive vibes to pull myself out of this rut. I hit the gym and decided to use the time to shed my negativity ( and also my weight ) I gave myself warnings to think different with each passing day. I reminded myself that I can be a happy parent only if Im a happy person first. I listened to good music and started to enjoy dancing ( dance workout). You too practice regular eating n healthy habits and start having fun then everything will fall in place. Hope this helps.

10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

If you don't have any serious health issues , this is just an excuse for something you are not
    interested in here career.

it depends on individual interest , priorities and finding time . Just like you found time after your kids got into middle school , before that you mins was occupied by other things.

similarly for some working woman , fitness maybe last priority in middle of lot of things . They just need to become aware for healthy eating and finesse routine . Eating is easy to incorporate too. Exercise can be a 30 min walk during lunch time .