1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can Single Ladies Adopt

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by ChennaiExpress, Feb 19, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

This has been in my mind for several years, but now it's coming to forefront.

No one knows our future. We may have idea of what can happen, but life has other plans.

Having said that, can single ladies adopt? Is there an age limit? Is there an income requirement?

Recent episode of Sai Baba showed
    - Sai Baba telling story of Jansi Ki Rani, who adopted and raised child like her own. She even went into battle against British soldiers while child was safely strapped to her back
    - An older rich lady who lost her son and was very bitter eventually adopts an abandoned young boy who seemed mentally imbalanced (was rather intelligent though). Eventually this lady's motherly love helps him talk

Just wondering because God only know who he will put in our lives

pocahontas and nuss like this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Yes, single people can adopt. Age requirements are different depending on what you decide: domestic or international. The best thing would be to identify a few adoption agencies and look at their requirements. Most have public information sessions and will also offer free initial consultations. Unless one gets lucky it is a 2-3 year process in most cases.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Yes single people can adopt, there are examples in the indian actor community itself for popular stories / examples.

I think you would have to prove your mental n physical health, financial support, life n job stability, etc.

Identify an adoption agency in the region you want, n contact them. The time varies depending on your ratings, waitlist n the kind of child you want, like the age n gender of a child or if you are looking for a particular nativity.

4. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

I read this somewhere that single women have the highest priority for adoption followed by Indian families and then comes NRIs and last priority is given to foreign citizens. So if you are a single woman looking to adopt your adoption process will be a lot faster as you will automatically jump to the top of the queue.

5. ChennaiExpress

It seems I'll be in best position to adopt after retirement.

I'll be able to stay home and take care of the child with all the saved earnings.

Trying to invest in my health with sleep, proper food, exercise.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

There are age limits for adoption in most cases, unless you are open to taking in an older child or teenager.

7. ChennaiExpress

I suppose I'd be open to an older child or teenager.

Time and circumstances changes people's views and outlook. Who know how one will be 15, 20 years from now.

8. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

Bollywood actress Sushmita Sen ( Ex Miss India), after suffering a series of failed marriages, adopted two female babies. It is being believed , she lives happily with her adopted daughters. IMG0-201702030143037233.jpg

yellowmango and ChennaiExpress like this.
  9. ChennaiExpress

This is really inspiring.

I believe love comes from Heart rather than genetics

silentlistener likes this.
  10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

You can adopt as a single woman but you also want to consider if this is something you can handle alone. There is no looking back once you have a child, so keep that in mind.
    Sushmita sen is a good role model to consider about adopting as a single woman but you must remember she has a good support system in the form of family, nannies, cooks, driver etc. It’s very different for people like us .