1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can Parents with Biological child adopt?

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by Custard, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Dear Parents,

This is a bit personal post, but I need suggestions and guidelines. Kindly provide.

Im married for one year and now pregnant. Before Wedding, me and my husband decided that we would adopt. After wedding, as I learnt that my husband had so much connection to have a biological child, I decided to have one biological child.

We both are still very much for adoption. Recently a thought struck both of us. Since I will be able to feed my baby, if we could adopt another child at the same time, I will be able to feed both and take care of both. I know that this is a bigger task than I could think of. Its like having twins. I thought its better to adopt a same sex baby.

But Im wondering if its possible to do adoption now as we are only one year married? When it is actually possible to adopt a child legally? Is this the only site to register for adoption : Central Adoption Resource Authority ?
    Can adoption be done in any other method?

Guidelines from Parents who have done adoption, will be very much helpful.

omnam, Viswamitra, Roar and 4 others like this.

2. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

Custard hats off to you for being so liberal.
    A couple with a biological child can certainly adopt another child of opposite sex. Waiting period is anywhere between 6 months to 2 years. You will need to get yourself registered and then the agency will interview you and your husband and will talk to you about your needs, your and your husbands looks. Then they will select a child who matches your needs and will be a perfect fit in your family.
    Have one Adopt one policy will end the plight of orphans.
    How far along are you in your pregnancy?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello, Thank u so much! You mean we can adopt only child of opposite sex? Isn't same sex allowed? Im now 5months pregnant. Please also tell me if Central Adoption Resource Authority ? is the only site to be registered?

4. plssmile

plssmile New IL'ite

Hats off Custard ! Salutes to u . Generally adoption will be an option if we are not able to have biological child. But you are way too good.Appreciate your husband's support in this matter. Even i should do it or atleast sponser a child. Should definitely plan on this. And thanks for making me think. May all the blessings of god shower on you to have a healthy baby(babies :))..

1 person likes this.
  5. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

Same sex adoptions are not allowed.
    You can also visit orphanages in your city and get yourself registered there. This will ensure a faster process but I don't think it will be as little as 4 months.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Thank u han. May I know what is the reason behind such rules? Why same sex not allowed?

7. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

Same sex adoption is not allowed so that there is minimum discrimination between biological and adopted child to a certain extent. Do talk to the adoption agency about your desire to have a same sex adoption.

2 more eligibility criteria for adoption are that you and your husband are more than 25 years of age and that you have completed 2 years of marriage.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Custard, I am not too sure about the same sex adoptions but I guess every country deals with it differently. Like Han said, you need to first register yourself with CARA. Yes, thats your starting point. You are looking at least 2 years of waiting period as the priority will go to childless couples first and then you (due to obvious reasons). Of course, if the match is exact, you may get lucky and end up with a baby in one year too. Expect a lot of scrutiny.

Dont worry about not being able to breastfeed your adopted child if she/he comes after you stop BF'ing your biological child. You can always consult a lactation consultant and take supplements and you will start lactating again. Most adopted mothers breastfeed their babies this way.

Good luck.

2 people like this.
  9. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Thanks han, I understand now, why they have such rules!

Thanks for your reply Rakhii. The information you shared about BF is completely new to me and it sounds amazing! Nature is truely amazing! :wow

10. riya743

riya743 New IL'ite

my neighbours recently adopted a baby child in hyderabad. she told like that it is a volunteer coordiantiong organization. you may call them for any details on 9912936478

1 person likes this.