Can lack of sleep affect the baby's growth in the womb??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by inlovewithmylyf, Nov 14, 2011.

1. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

inlove

lack of sleep doesnot affec the baby but it will tire you .Hopefully now you feel better with vomitting but you can get medication for it .I had zofran and phenargan during my first pregnancy beqacuse i couldn't keep anytghing down and I will throw up like 5 to 6 times a day.Then this miracle pill worked .Its has no side effects and phenargan will put you to sleep as well .

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hearty congratulations! No, I don't think 'your' lack of sleep will affect the baby, especially developmentally. So don't worry about that. That said, whatever you are doing, doing with happiness will certainly have a nice impact on your baby. Once you begin to feel the baby, there will be a kind of communication between you and the baby when you feel the baby kick - which will often bring you back to the state of mind you are in - happy, stressed, need sleep, like the food, don't like etc. So look forward to that and enjoy :) It must not be easy for your to go through the vomits around this time of pregnancy also but then, what do you do....so it is ok..try to play some soothing music and drift off to sleep as much as you can.

Best wishes and enjoy your pregnancy!

3. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

I am blessed with a baby boy dear....

Keep on eating healthy food though you have vomiting.

For some ladies like us, pregnancy comes along with all these packages... :)..... Just Relax and Enjoy!!!

Regards,
    Ansu

4. Dwirakhi

Dwirakhi Silver IL'ite

Dear inlovewithmylyf,

Please don’t stress on the lack off your sleep. It is normal for a pregnant woman to feel this way. What ever happened in the first trimester just let it go. It is a very difficult period and most women go through it without being able to take care of themselves. So relax. Your baby is fine.

If you are continuing to throw up in your second trimester it is probably due to acidity.

The acidity and the heart burn is actually nature's way of reminding the mother to eat on a regular basis to take care of her additional nutritional requirements in pregnancy for herself and the growing fetus.

Some basic thumb rules

• The earlier the breakfast the better it is. A breakfast as early as 8:30 to 9 is already late.

• A meal every two hourly is advisable.

• Lunch by 1 pm.

• It is very natural to feel hungry around the evening time hence a heavy snack or a meal is a good idea at this time.

If you take care of these fundamental things you will find a balance and your acidity will be curbed which will prevent you to get in to mindless eating to provide comfort from its affects.

The two hourly meals can be a variety of things in small quantities

• High fibre biscuits

• Nuts and Dry fruits, a handful

• A cup of milk

• Sundal (white or black)

• Butter milk

• A fruit or a few pieces of them.

• Salad

Some basic things

• Eat what you can digest.

• Eat on time.

• Don’t skip or delay the big meals or replace them with fruits will increase acidity.

• Don’t stay on an empty stomach for more than two hours have a small bite of anything.

• Drink water on a regular basis throughout the day.

• Avoid junk and fatty food, these kind of food gets difficult to digest.

• Get a good walk, helps digestion.

• Stay happy and cheerful good for the stomach and digestion too.

Once you get grip on your diet your vomiting should subside and hope you sleep better.

The fluid intake has to be regular throughout the day so it is absorbed and utilised by your body. If you are disciplined about continuous in take of fluids you can even bring down the quantity close to your bed time. When the body is resting and the air conditioners are on and you don’t sweat its fluid requirements are less. This will enable you to sleep better so that the number of tips to the toilet can be reduced.

You can sleep on both sides and also try putting a pillow beneath your knees on your sides so you can tilt a little further by putting your weight on your chest and your thighs while the pillow keeps your tummy from touching the bed. So you have four different positions to choose to sleep in. If you feel like rest on your back but roll over after 15 mints, if the sides are hurting.

I know it can be so frustrating to feel this way and no matter what I say is not going to help your sleep. But relax focus on your quality of sleep, even if it means 4 to 5 hours only. Keep a book, your iPod by your bed side or save an activity that soothes you to do in the night when you are sleepless. Your baby is fine and you are not hurting your baby. But keeping awake stressing over your lack of your sleep and thinking continuously and worrying and brooding is not good for you and your baby.

Please know once you are a mother you sleep patterns will be similar to what you are experiencing with the baby as you have to get up to feed, change diapers , burp the baby. Sleep is going to be a precious commodity for quite some time. So snooze when you can, when you can’t just relax, stay happy, keep smiling and enjoy your pregnancy.

Take care….
    Love

Rakhi

5. swee2

swee2 Silver IL'ite

Hey inlove!! I am not much experienced to give you advice but really i wish you a healthy pregnancy & plz do take care of urself. Try to relax down & try not to stress much. I can understand that vomiting every now & then can lead you to weakness & becomes so annoying.
    I wish..you come up from all this & stay healthy & happy!!
    Take care dear.. :)