1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Can I travel outside US when the H1B applicant has changed jobs?

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by neha1, May 25, 2010.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

My husband(H1) is looking for jobs and may land good offers soon. I was wondering if we both could travel to India in Nov. this year as we have a marriage in the family. His current H1B expires on 31 March 2011. Will there be issues if the visa is under extension. When can we apply for extension?Another question that I had was can the H1B holder take leave in 6-7 months of joining the company?

Last edited: May 25, 2010

2. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

When you change employers they will file for transfer of H1B so extension can also be done at that time or they can file for extension before a month when the old visa expires. Once the visa is extended you have to go to the consulate (India) and and get it stamped on your passport (you have to do this only if you wish to travel outside US, if you don't intend to travel then you don't have to get it stamped on your passport) Your husband can take leave anytime it all depends on the employer and most of them are very accommodating.

3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks GiJoe for the reply. It was very useful. We were told by current emplyer that they file extensions only 3-4 months before expiry date. That's why I was scared. I am glad that we can file even now.