Can I read garuda puranam at home?

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by SR09, Jun 8, 2009.

1. alagarsamy

alagarsamy Bronze IL'ite

Can any one let me know from where i can download the garuda puranam in Tamil and English. I wanna read it. I havent read before.so wanna read now.

Please help me in getting the book or link for the same.

Thanks,
    Vidhya

2. Jayasuresh

Jayasuresh New IL'ite

Yes Sir, I would like to know life after death. So it would be great to know about it. I believe in our Hindu Mythology and definitely these texts will have something to tell us, is my humble opinion.

Thanks,
    Jayashree

3. shaamkburre

shaamkburre New IL'ite

This Book is a great scientific book where in UK USA countries people using technologies from these books but we afraid to read this book. This is a great book that can be read by everyone.

The Garuda Purana is one of the eighteen Puranas. It is actually structured like any other normal purana - explains the glory of the Lord and the creation etc etc.

Since it is in the form of dialog between Mahavishnu and Garuda it is named as Garuda Purana.

And it is a misconception that this book should be read only during the occasion of any death in the house. We have made our own ideas regarding various texts - like reading Mahabharata. Since Mahabharat has tales of war and killings, people think that it may bring disharmony and fights to the household.

Similar is the case with Garuda Purana. It is wrong to say that one should not keep Garuda Purana at home. The entire epic is in the form of wonderful conversation between Garuda and Lord Vishnu regarding the meaning of human life. The Lord explains the life of the soul after death. Because the epic deals with death, people blindly say that Garuda Purana should not be kept at home. It is only a myth. One can very well keep this book at home.

And many consider it unlucky to read this text except during unfavorable occasions. If that is the case and why Vyasa has listed this book as one among the Puranas ? Please understand that all the Puranas are fit for Parayanam and certain texts specially suit certain occasion. Thats all.

Garuda Purana is a more a scientific book of facts than a book of religious preachings.

He, who takes birth, shall have to die. He, Who dies, shall have to take birth. This is law of Nature. Death is a a natural process that nobody can avoid. A section of Garuda Purana deals with process connected with death, the ritual and detailed description of the journey of the departed soul.

The reason behind the rituals we do and their esoteric significance are also explained. For example the donation we give - The first object that should be donated is an umbrella (chhatra). On the way to Yama’s abode, the preta has to pass long stretches where there is no shade at all and the sun shines very brightly. If an umbrealla is donated , it can be held over the preta’s head as it is taken Yama’s abode. The preta suffers less. The second object that should be donated is a pair of sandals (paduka). There is a possiblbility that the preta may land up in asipatravana naraka. If you remember, there the sands are very hot and sinners have to dash over the hot sands to a cool grove that is in the centre of the hell. If sandals are donated, the preta does not have to walk over these hot sands, but gets to ride a horse. The third object that should be donated is a seat (asana). If a seat is donated, the preta gets enough food to eat as it is taken to Yama. The fourth object that should be donated is a water-pot (kamandalu). If a water-pot is donated, the preta does not suffer from lack of drinking water on the journey. The fifth object that should be donated is clothing (vastra). If clothing is donated, Yama’s messengers do not torture the preta on the journey. The sixth object that should be donated is a ring (mudrika). If a ring is donated, Yama’s messengers allow the preta to travel at his own pace. They do not rush him and goad him to travel fast. The benefits of whatever is donated percolate through to the preta himself. Sometimes they directly reach the preta.

According to merits earned by the departed soul, his life after death is decided. The travel of the dead person to the other lokaas in a different body is explained in Garuda Purana in detail. The yathra to Yama loka is described. After reaching Yama loka one's Papa and Punya are evaluated. Yama then gives the jeeva a new body called yaathanaa sharira - that is a body for suffering. (There are twenty eight different punishments for the sins one is committing in this world.. It also explains the different kinds of Sins which lead to different Hell. Iam not listing it here... If our readers are interested let me know I shall list it)

In this Yaathana Saharira - body which is meant for suffering, one has to suffer for the sins committed.

To put it simple - the soul of a true bhaktha reach the abode of their ishta devatha after the death. For all others who have committed punya and paapa go to swarga and narakaa to enjoy for punyaa and suffer for paapaa respectively.

After that enjoyments and suffering... they take another birth in this mundane world and again enter into the cycle of Karma and start doing paapa and punya. This cycle is never ending;

The law of Karma is very well established here and it tells - what janma a person, gets for his sins... So no one can escape from his own actions. Each action is having equal and opposite reaction

(The list is elaborate for each karma - example : Who deceives a friend becomes a mountain-vulture; who cheats in selling becomes an owl... the list goes on and on. Again Iam not detailing it here)

This is what is explained in Garuda Purana...

Great punya is acquired from reading or hearing the Garuda Purana. So by reading Garuda Purana one gets mental clarity and gets a chance to purify himself and help to cross over the ocean of existence !

The person who reads or hears this purana, is guaranteed happiness in this world and also the next world. This gives the true knowledge. And so Garuda Purana is a text which should be revered and not ignored or feared

7 people like this.
  4. dark_angel

dark_angel Silver IL'ite

hi ...

you can download garuda purana from this link ,
    Garuda Puran - Download - 4shared - Shree Sita Ram

its from gita press , hope you enjoy reading ..there are other purana's too

1 person likes this.
  5. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shaamkburre Brother,

:welcome to IL family Thanks for refreshing the post from NOWHERE...

:thankyou2: for this great enlightenment of the contents of Garuda Purana, Your message was posted on Apr 15th (though I have read it only today - 27th Apr) I consider it as Baba's gift for my Anniversary. :thumbsup

Keep coming and enlighten us on the insight and guide us to read the holy book, Thanks once again

Sairam, May Baba bless you always.

6. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Dark_Angel Sister

:welcome to IL family,

Thanks for the link quickly and would hope to enjoy reading the holy book soon.

Sairam

7. Thank01

Thank01 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shamkburee Br,

Thank you very much for the detailed and interesting explanation on Garuda Purana. Please keep writing as it makes a very interesting and informative reading.

Om Sri Sai Ram

1 person likes this.
  8. shunmuga

shunmuga New IL'ite

Please tell me what happens to the soul after it leaves the body.Whether garuda purana should be read by brabhmins on the 10th day of a death person. or whether we can read it on our own on behalf of death person. And also advice me whether we have to go temple only after 16 days or 40 days of a death person.

9. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    Garudapuram can only be read if a close person in family is dead and restricted period is 15 days after death of person. It is restricted to ladies but if a male member reads , the women can listen. It is said that who ever reads or listens to it then they will reach heaven.

10. jayakrishna72

jayakrishna72 New IL'ite

I understand your question is out of fear of practice( vidhanam ) to read Garuda puranam.

Here logically let us look at the reasons why it can be read at home:

1. It's popularity of use / practice to recite w.r.t., mourning period is to some extent main question raiser.

But one can find the sections of Garuda Purana give live giving messages too. Not just life taking and after life judgement by Dharma Raja.

In other words it's mean to read for accomplishment of human life. The contents here are very strictly written as a law book. Similar contributions are made even in Anushasana Parva of Mahabharata but are told in littlr softer voice, may be it's because of poetic style of writing.

2. We go to hospital for treatment and a diagnosis prescription will be givrn by the medical practitioners. Same way in our daily life we come across problems like diseases and the dignosis instrument protocol to be followed as per garuda purana.

Best example is cow importance is very detailedly dealt in anushasana parva of Mahabharata and it's results are well displayed in garuda purana. A cow can easily make to cross vytharani, the deadly rivers for sinners and the same will be a pious river for people who follow the path of dharma.

3. If it's reading purpose is only to get relief during mourning period then the persons who read are not not dead but alive, this we need not think. The person who is observing 12 days mourning is restricted to home and not allowed to socialize. So, it's reading is possible no where else other than at home.

4. At home we keep all pious books in a single rack and out of reach of insane and are kept as equal to idols we worship. Now garuda Purana is not a seperate purana, we need to keep in mind. It's part of the astadada puranas.

All the purpose of life is mentioned puranas in the form of short stories like that of panchatantra. So morals can be read, taught and nourished at home only, this too we know pretty well. Alas! Charity begins at home.

5. It's content's are rituals, procedures, rites to be performed. So, it's needless to say that not kreping it home is a mistake, not reading it will be ignorance and not practicing it's advices will be adharma.

People often get frightened to read Bhagavath Geeta too for same reason. People avoid Mahabharata thinking it will bring conflicts. Same is the case with Ramayana too with poor knowledge some proclaim that Ramayana will cause seperation between wife & husband.

Misunderstanding of puranas purpose is the cause brhind it.

As per the practice, this is a most auspicious Purana for it being extracted from Vishnu / Brahma & Padma puranas.

All these three names Vishnu, Padma & Brahma are very pious and are untouched with sin so, is the one who follows garuda purana too.

vaidehi71 likes this.