Can I read garuda puranam at home?

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by SR09, Jun 8, 2009.

1. vkswamy84

vkswamy84 New IL'ite

Dear Anandhi :

I hv seen yr posting on the subject. I have read the Garuda Puranam. What it is saying is important for us. Mr. Mahalingam rightly quoted nothing wrong to keep the book in the house. We are not doing any sin as per Gardua Puranam. We are gaining knowledge about our life and soul and about our Karma what we have to do and we are following as per Hindu Dharma.

There is no wrong to read the same in the house. Some people will afraid of the story narrated.

The foremost thing we should concentrate the birth and rebirth how we have to belief. Unless you read the original version of Garuda Puranam we can't believe the short stories narrated. It is a belief nothing else, as per me.

Pls. communicate your views in your mind.

REgards,

VKSWAMY

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2009
  2. priyakrr

priyakrr New IL'ite

Hai,

My opinion is that from vedic period all this came through guru and shisya from. When guru is confident that the disciple is strong enough by heart to know about the punishment than only he teaches it. and o course when we have it in home some one who is weak by heart or is mental strength reads, gets upseted.

i think this would be the main reason that the elders told not to keep the book in home. it is right also.

when we look at the right way, we get the right reason

Thenks

B.Padmapriya

3. Vimmala

Vimmala Senior IL'ite

Elakaya is a heaven plane which is pulled by Seven horses/ light rays. In this ratha it will have Vasu, Rudra, adithya our father, grand father, great grand father who will identify us which will take our soul at the time of death, and releive them from the body and mind. Once the soul is departed, the body will vanish day by day and it takes ten days for the body to dissolve in the universe.
    "Sabhtha Aswacha Saarudam Vibhujam Kasyapam Ravim" - Vaiswa Deva Sooktham.

On the death Sradha day, the same ratha will bring the departed souls even if they took rebirth, feed them and take back to the place of origin.
    Because of which we on a day feel that we are happy with the food even-though we didn't consume and feel no appetite.
    Here the soul is not a man and it is worshiped in the form of light rays.

The Garuda purana reading at home is not advisable. You should be clean both by mind and body. Secondly if we misspell, the effect will be rotten.

4. jusAnotherHindu

jusAnotherHindu New IL'ite

hm.. As far as I know, Garuda Purana should be read only during those 13 days aftr a family member's death. Reading it at any other time is supposed to hasten d "karyas" to be performed when some1 dies.. meaning- it'll hasten another death in the family.

And yes, the people who do all the proceedings aftr death, "shaastris" may or may not do a proper job. But, the fact remains that they r constantly dealing with the spiritual world when they perform those "kaarya"s. So, in case they are not doing the work with proper respect and devotion, then they will be facing the consequences. They wont be able to handle the vibrations of from the "after life". It will have very horrible and unpleasant effects in all aspects of their personal and professional life.

Hope it helps :)

5. Vimmala

Vimmala Senior IL'ite

But as far as I know the Garuda Purana will not find a place on the death which is unnatural, premature and persons who has no value in the society.

I attended lots of the death ceremonies and who pays a visit to a place up to burrial ground arrage for vadyars etc., the sastry use to comment that they will not read the Purana on the above said deaths.
    Ramachandran

6. SR09

SR09 Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends.
    I see the progress of this thread.
    One more question, its the bhramis who observe 10th day and 13th day grakiem(hope the spelling is right). I noticed the non bhramis do 16th day prayers. SO is Garuda Puranam for bhramis only? Anyone can clarify this?

7. Vimmala

Vimmala Senior IL'ite

In olden days, Brahmins alone was following the rituals. The other sections were exempted as they were having plenty of other works and commitments like WAR, Temple constructions traveling a lot on duty etc., and they were exempted from Tarpana on Amavasai and other days of Karma. So they followed only the posible rituals.

If they see Papam and Punniam, they can not discharge their duties and hence they needed muscle power to protect the innocent common public.

So there is a difference on rituals for Brahmins and other sec of Hindus.

1 person likes this.
  8. amit1parashar

amit1parashar New IL'ite

Dear Anandi,
    Bhagwan hamko hamre karmon ke adhar par hi fal dekga.agar hamare karam bur honge to hamko narak dega aor achhe honge to swarg lekin hamko agar swarg aor narak ke bare men pata hi nahi chalega to ham uske according work kese karenge to yw ayashyak hai k ham garud puran ko read karen kinu k usmen jo punishment diye hai uske through hamko bhagwan warning dena chahta hai aor jab ham padhenge hi nahi to sat karam kese karenge hope ke aap meri baat ko samjh saken so i advice to silver ilite ke aap usko zaroor read karen.agar koi hamko kahta hai ke ye ghar men rakhna aor padhna apshagun hai to ye bana kis ke liye hai aor kinu think about it.

9. psnvasan

psnvasan New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am a new joinee. My name is Srinivasan and am an Engineer.

I read this thread about Garuda Purana. It was quite interesting. We can read Garuda Purana at home and we must in fact. Garuda Purana is written in such a manner that Lord Vishnu Himself clarifies the questions of Garuda for the benefit of world. I have a Tamil version of Garuda Purana at home, while people in home, my mother, wife and brother are against in keeping it at home. My father only agrees to me. Anyway, people need not believe others words, but will you believe if Mahavishnu Himself says that Garuda Purana can be read. The conclusion statement of Garuda Purana, said by Mahavishnu to Garuda, translated in English for you is as follows.

"Listen to what i am saying about the benefits that a soul doing good deeds will attain. The soul which does good deads, after death will reside at swargaloka and then will take birth in a good community and live with the thoughts of Dharma. If one reads this Purana, his father, mother and all ancestors (Pithrus) will go to a better world after death. During auspicious days like Shankaranthi, Vishu Punya Dhina, Grahana Punya Kala, Day of Shrartha (Ceremony for dead) etc., the one who reads this, preaches what they read, make others read, will go to a good and happy world after death and will lead a very happy life. By reading this, a soul will get rid of the fear for yama loka and will come to know the way for Salvation.

I have told such a beautiful Purana to you, for the benefit of world." This statement is given as such told by Sriman Narayana to Garuda. Please tell me now, do you believe that this Purana is good one and can be read at home?

Why is Garuda Purana read at a home of dead? The answer below was told by a swamiji in a religious book.

Under normal circumstances, people ignore death and lead a happy life. They normally don't think the way for salvation. They are trapped in wordly matters. But, when one is dead, people will be sad. They think that "one day or the other day, the same is going to happen to us? So, what should we do to make our life meaningful before death?". This is a perfect mood for a normal human to read Garuda Purana and what ever read in this mood will get registered in mind immediately. If read in a normal mood, people usually forget after reading, as they don't take it seriously. But, it doesn't mean that the same shouldn't be read other days. One who is interested can read anytime.

In fact, the Lord Himself says Garuda that those have to be read on auspicious days like Shankaranthi (Pongal festival) to attain Salvation. I hope, you all know why should we attain salvation and not take re-birth. If any doubts, please let me know, i will explain the reason separately.

I guess that such superstitions like one shouldn't read it might have come because of some stupid reasons from ancestors. As it is read in a dead's house, one might have thought in our History that there will be a death in the home of one who reads this. This is a superstition spread like fire. Another reason is, Garuda Purana is full of Knowledge. One who reads it may lose interest in worldy life, which shouldn't be that way, because world is the place to complete our karmas and attain salvation. One shouldn't life on earth which is a very good opportunity.

A small story. "A Guru was teaching his disciples. A dog was running here and there which disturbed the attention of the students. So, he tied the dog under tree and started teaching lessons. After certain generations, people thought that tie a dog under tree and teaching lessons will give a good knowledge to students and this is being done by all my Gurujis." Thought of not reading Garuda Purana is also a similar story.

Don't believe to what elders say, blindly. Let us research before believing anything. One question to all who don't think Garuda Purana to be read. Vedavyasa is the organizer of all Vedas, coposer of Mahabharata, Hindu holy book Bagavad Gita and 18 Mahapuranas, out of which 17 are accepted by people. When Veda Vyasa has spent his life throughout for the benefit of people and society, why should he write only one Purana that will harm people? Dear friends, please think over. Kindly explain the beauty of Garuda Purana to your friends and relatives. Please ignore the so called superstitions and make our future generations more Knowledgeable.

India is in the hands of our children. If this superstition continues, after 100 years, no body will know that there is a Purana called Garuda Purana. Also, there will be no one to explain its benefits. Thanks for the one who brought up this question in forum. Jai Hind.

2 people like this.
  10. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

Re: what happens to the soul after it leaves the body

Garuda puranam is like any puranam. I have read it. Its like a story book. There's a copy somewhere in my house also.