1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can i give oats.....??

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by brindhak, Nov 13, 2007.

1. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Dear all...
    I have 2 1/2 yr old daughter...... Can i give her oats meal or Nestum....? I heard from one of my friends that giving oats will reduce her weight.. is that true.... please help....

ThanX in advance..
    brindhU....

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Brindha
    Giving oat meals or nestum to kids is good and healthy, about reducing weight oops no idea.

sindmani likes this.
  3. imemyself

imemyself Senior IL'ite

Hi Brindha,
    Oats is a very healthy food for kids!! And I give that for my son who is 1 yr and 8 months!!
    I chop some apples and bananas and mix it with the oats and give and he loves that!
    Sometimes I also add sooji rava along with the oats!!!
    As far as I know...it doesnt reduce weight!!
    Mayb u can ask ur kid's paed?

4. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Thankyou very much for the reponses...... :)

brindhU

5. Chinju

Chinju Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    My Daugther is 11 months old and she takes only Gerber Oat Meal and Gerber Rice Cereal. Other than this she refuse to eat any other things. I tried giving her rice with dal and veg, ragi etc.She takes hardly two spoons and then cry like anything. I tried giving her even nestum and ceralac. She refuses that also. From her 6 mths onwards she use to like ragi and banana powder and now stop eating that too.:bang

I am really worried that she is not eating rice and vegetables. Is it good to give her only gerber oats and rice cereal? Is there any other oats i can try? Please advice.

Thanks and Regards,
    Chinju.

6. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

hi,
    giving oats to babies older than 8 months is very good...the fibre in oats helps to avoid constipation....babies love gerber cereals becoz it has added sugar and flavours...my daughter loved them too...then i switched over to normal instant oats, mixed with some hot water to make a paste then add very little of salt and curd...you can add little bit jeera powder or pepper powder also to this...

7. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear brindha

giving oats is a very healthy food for the babies......am sure it is fibre rich and reducing weight is sumthing that i dunno...

lov
    sowmi

8. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

From my personal experience....this is not a thing to worry..

My Daughter used to eat only gerber foods till she was 13 months old...but she had her vegetables and fruits too...

Everyone around me blamed me for not introducing Indian food...like yours mine did not eat rice till she was 2..but she liked pasta though...to start with she ate only plain white rice.

As time passed by ...she started eating all Indian...now she is quite flexible...between Indian and western...

So ..as their taste buds change now and then..try to switch over different varieties according to her tastes...
    Hope this helps...

9. vidyasriram

vidyasriram Senior IL'ite

Hello,

It is really good to give oats, Gerber has new oats that is rich in DHA it helps brain and eye development.

My daughter has feeding problems she does not eat Indian food no veggies or fruits everything she s.pits.

With cereal I mix milkpowder, oat meal, rice meal and little badam powder.
    My daughter eats that all the 3 times.

-Vidya

10. vanigooty

vanigooty New IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter is 15 months old and even gives her gerber oat meal once in a day along with that she will have vegetables,rice, dal and chapati,roti,ragi.....and now i'm thinking to start little spicy food in her meal so that she gets the taste.

What do you all say is it good to give spicy food to some extent or is it harmful to her