Can I continue My 16 Monday Vrat even after a death In My Family

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Pavithara, May 16, 2013.

1. Pavithara

Pavithara New IL'ite

I am doing 16 Monday's vrat, I have completed 8 Mondays successfully. On 9th Monday that is om 13th May 2013 my grandmother ( my fathers' mom) have passed away, but still i was fasting but had to eat food with salt since it was a death house. She was staying with us in the same building.

Since she is my fathers' mom we have certain customs to be followed. Like we are not supposed to go to temple for next 1 year should not do pooja or light lamps to god for next 16 days. cause of all these I am confused how to continue my vrat. Should I stop my vrat and start again fresh from next year or continue from 9th Monday next year or even if death have happen can I leave everything to lord Shiva and continue my vrat even now without going to temple and lighting lamps at home?

Please do help me in this issue and suggest a remedy for my 16 Monday Vrat.

continue my vrat even now without going to temple and lighting lamps at home? :drowning

2. 123thirumala

123thirumala Silver IL'ite

according to my knowledge you should stop the vrat for this year freshly u should start for the next year

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You don't light the lamp or go to temple for 10 to 13 days after the death in the house right.
    So you can skip a few Mondays and then continue your vrat. Few things are not in our hands. Whatever you do that should make you satisfied and happy.....
    Even if you will continue from 9th vrat skipping a few or start freshly new. You should be happy with it.
    Don't do vrat having some doubt in you.

4. dave08

dave08 New IL'ite

Hi Pavithra,

I am sorry for your loss but you have to stop the vrat for the time being until after 16 days. As you have mentioned, your customs does not allow yourself or your immediate family members to go to temple for 1 year after a death in the family. After the 16 days, you can restart again with the 16 Monday vrat BUT by performing it at home. Just fast as how you usually do and perform simple prayers AT HOME for Lord Shiva and Parvati on Mondays.