Can H1b visa holder get SS payments ?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by GPriya, Mar 20, 2008.

1. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Gals, (special attn to Shobanag)

I am on h1b for the last 10 years and I am sure I have completed 40 credits to be eligible for social security payments when I hit my retirement age.

Well, I am planning to return to India by this year end (my GC is under processing and God knows how long is it going to take)..as I don't care for GC. If that be the case, will I get any social security payments when I hit the retirement age (66 or so). I am wondering if I have to wait for my GC or US citizenship to be eligible?

Please let me know.

Thanx,
    GPriya.

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Priya,
    I think you should post this thread under USA, general discussions.
    Not sure if Shobanag would visit this thread here...
    Even I too have the same question in my mind, but I got to know that we could not take our Social Security money. And it would be given to us after our retirement age or at 66yrs by US govt only if we live in this country.
    I hope somebody would give the correct information here.
    Regards.

3. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Priya - actually I do not know the answer to your question - not sure how SS works when people are no longer living in this country. I wonder if the SS website has any information about this on their website. I will take a look and get back. We can try googling - we may have get some answers.

4. puni88

I am glad that you did see this thread.....

5. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Actually Punitha - I am the moderator in this forum - so, I do visit this everyday.

Priya - On SS website, under the FAQ's, there is a list of questions related to "international issues". Please go through this - think it may answer some of your questions.

Find An Answer to Your Question (Page 1 of 2)

6. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shoba,

I know u being the moderatorof this site, u would visit and respond.. Thanx.

Well, I already went thro' the link u have mentioned in your response.

In my case, I am a Canadian citizen, living in the US for the last 10 years (almost) and planning to return to India (have OCI- Overseas citizenship of India) by this year end.

Now, according to the info on the link, being a Canadian citizen, I would be eligible to claim my SS payment on retirement, provided I live somewhere in the cold country which means I have to be a resident of Canada to claim US SS payments, as US and Canada have an agreement on this. But I will not be living in Canada and my country of residence is going to be India, so no answers about my query anywhere ..as people from here go back to their country only after getting GC or USC. I am one weird case, feeling homesick and also some obligation to care of aging single parent. So I am just wondering, if at all possible to get some money back when I hit 66, if I get to live that long?

Well, take your time and see if you can answer my query.

Puni88, I know I can't take my ss money today.. I am only wondering if i could claim some money at 66 or so, being a Canadian citizen, living in India.

Thanx gals,
    GPriya.

7. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Priya - I am not an expert in how SS works. I did not read through all the information that was in the SS link. Looks like there is a lot to it, when you are a citizen and move out of the country. I would suggest you to call your local SS office and find out the details.

8. puni88

That would be a good Idea.
    Even I will be loosing so much SS money and 401K.
    We could take 401K but we may need to pay tax/fine on that atleast.