1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Can BP Fluctuate during Preclampsia

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by malar_arasi, Dec 23, 2009.

1. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

Hello All,

I had my monthly OB appointment last week. I was actually a little late for the appointment as I got held up in traffic. Once I entered the clinic they immediately called me inside and checked my weight and BP. My BP then showed high (140/90) though I was not so tensed or so as I had reached on time.

My Gyn immediately got little concerned and ordered me to do a urine analysis to check the presence of protein in the urine and asked me to repeat BP check after 1/2 hr. Then I gave urine sample relaxed for 1/2 hr or so and then did a BP check again. This time reading was normal (120/70).

Also urine analysis shows no presence of protein or so and also I had no swelling as such, so my gyn said Pre-eclampisa can be ruled out.

Still I am really worried about that high BP detected once. Is this normal ?

Can anyone help me out ?

Regards,
    Malar

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Malar don't worry. BP can fluctuate by as much as 20-30 points in a matter of minutes. Probably traffic or walking fast may have caused you to have a higher BP than normal. Since your doctor is not worried, I recommend you do the same. If it still bothers you then do what I did

1. Buy a home BP monitor - I got an omron from costco for around 40 bucks
    2. Lay off the salt
    3. Sit in a pool , don't swim. the water helps bring down blood pressure.
    4. sit with your feet propped above your knees

a high bp is not a definitive sign of pre-eclampsia, it has to be combined with other symptoms such as protein in the urine, swelling etc. keep an eye out for these in the upcoming weeks.

hope this helps,

pooja