Can anyone guide me as to what course to study please?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by deepshikha, May 10, 2008.

1. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Hello Friends, Need guidance from experienced ladies here.
    I did my Masters in English Literature from India. After that was teaching in schools for some time though did not do BEd. Then post marriage I moved to US.
    I have been looking for options to study here such that I may eventually get a Job. I am not considering going into Teaching here because all I can teach is English which might not fetch me enough opportunities in US.
    I need guidance as to what course can I take up in a community college. Since University studies are expensive here I am not thinking about that.
    I have considered options ranging from associates in Nursing to computers and even accounting. But have been unable to come to a decision. I want to do some course in computers because some people told me that it might eventually get me a job. But given that I am from the arts background I have little knowledge of computer science. I need some guidance as to which course and of what duration would be good for me.
    The University in my town also has a certificate course in HRM but I am not sure whether it would do me any good because since I do not have a work permit I would not be able to get any experience even after doing that.
    Please advise me. Thanks for reading through my post.

2. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi

How about the option to study Journalism??? Possibly you can put it to use with English Lit. I should admit that I am not well informed about the job-opportunities in US for this field.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Jenz

3. Serenity_John

Serenity_John Bronze IL'ite

Hi Deepshika,

I'm not sure what advice to give you considering you don't have work permit yet but I would definitely suggest getting a work permit asap.

Even from arts background, you can do whatever you want in America. However here's some sites that you can see to help you decide which course you want to do.

O*NET OnLine -- based on skills u can find jobs and see what they do in job, education needed, skills needed and salary info and more

Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2008-09 Edition -- another excellent site that tells u all the needed info too w/projected job openings and salary ranges

For more sites, you can just google "career info" and you can get more sites.

But from what I understood Nursing is better than computers even tho computers has diverse job options since there's a shortage of nurses in USA while there's no shortage of jobs in computers from what I gathered. Also With an associate degree in Nursing, you can later get a license and become registered Nurse which will give you lot more money too. But you should check your interests too so don't decide on a career just based on money alone.

Hope this helps and Good luck :D

Sere

4. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the reply Jenz and Sere, I think will look at Nursing as an option. I wanted to do something related to English literature, but I guess will have very little job opportunities after that. Even in teaching no US school would hire an Indian to teach English !!
    If you have any idea about how I can improve upon my English degree please suggest. Thanks again.

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Deepshika,
    You are very mistaken are about teaching in Schools here. A lot of them hire Indians. With your English Qualification, i would suggest that you look into getting a Degree in Education or 12 ECE units from your community college. This will qualify you for getting a teaching position here in any school.

A lot of private schools and public ones do employ Indians. Though i have heard that its easier to get a teaching position in a private school than a public one.

Nursing a nice profession but it is a demanding job.

Vandhana

6. Serenity_John

Hi Deepshika,

Vandana is very right about Indians teaching English courses. There are Indians who teach English in schools.

For English though, you don't have to be only a teacher unless you want it. With a little bit of preparation in professional/technical writing, you can go into many fields like even computers, or medical field, etc to use English to prepare documents, etc.

For more info, you can see here what you can do with a degree in English.

http://www.utexas.edu/student/cec/careers/english.pdf
    A Note to An English Major: In Pursuit of a Degree
    College Majors and Careers - English
    http://careers.cua.edu/explore/englishresources.htm

Hope this helps :D

Sere

7. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Dear Serenity and Vandhana, thanks for your encouraging replies. I have decided to explore the field of Nursing as it seems to be the most viable option for me. God willing, I might someday get the chance to teach in this field if not literature.
    I need some help. We would be moving to San Diego in about 2 months and I have already started looking for Nursing courses there. Can anyone guide me I went through the website of san Diego city college and found that I would need to do some pre-requisites for this course 2 year Associate in Nursing course. I am unable to find where to do those prerequisites from.
    Can anyone guide me. Thanks.

8. Serenity_John

Hi Deepshika,

Can you please tell us what prereqs they are asking for?

In some cases, you can just take an exam to opt out of the prereq course.

However, you can also talk to admissions counselor, etc so that if you do have any similar course credits from india, then they might take it instead, or they might just advice you to take the course in college in summer or something before becoming full time student.

Assessment at San Diego City College -- i'm thinking that these are the prereqs you are talking about?--they also said about how they would take similar credits if you can prove that it's similar, etc.

Either case, it's better to talk to the admissions people to get the best possible solution.

Good luck in Nursing!!

Sere :D

9. raji651

raji651 Senior IL'ite

Hi Deepshika,

Did you find out what kind of pre- req courses you will taking. I have applied in one of the colleges in Georgia. This is what i did. First we have get our mark sheets from Indian university evaluated. There are lot of companies who does that for a nominal fee. Once you get that you have to submit it to the college and then they will guide you based on that. The only thing is if you are in h4 you may have to pay "International fee" which is four times higher than the in state fee. That's is the only problem that i am not able to continue. I am not sure if anybody have any other better ways or ideas. Talk to the financial department of the college you are planning to go. May be it will be different in your state. Please do lett me know what happened. If anyone any other suggestions of getting a student aid please help me.Drowning

Raji

10. Vimmala

Vimmala Senior IL'ite

Read and learn Chinese or Japanese language. This will get a good job in personnal coahing with Indians in U.S.