1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can anybody learn singing

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by pebblebeach, Sep 3, 2013.

1. pebblebeach

pebblebeach Senior IL'ite

hello singers,
    I love music a lot esp singing but I never sing, dont even hum because I cant sing well. Though I like music from my childhood though I wanted to learn singing I never learnt singing. I'm 35 years old now. But every now and then whenever I listen to nice songs I feel very bad about myself for not being able to learn singing and able to sing like that. It really drives me crazy.
    I'm thinking of taking some singing lessons. Now the question is can I/anybody who is not good at singing learn to sing at this age. though I wish for positive replies, please be frank.
    Thanks all for the replies.

2. subrabidha

subrabidha Silver IL'ite

Hello,

There is no age for learning music. It requires devotion, interest and involvement. If you long to sing, certainly you can. I am taking online music classes (carnatic vocal from beginner’s level, slokas, and bhajans). If you are interested do mail me at sudhasubramanian64 at gmail dot com.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shylajasanthosh

Shylajasanthosh Silver IL'ite

Pebblebeach,

There is no age for music. If talented by birth, then its easy learning, if not it involves hours of practise and perseverance. My mom and I teach music. i have seen my mom teaching a 36 year old on skype who is in US. Proves that despite time differences, they still make it happen. I also got requests for learning from parents of 15 year olds. Though learning at that age slows down, but not impossible.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. subrabidha

subrabidha Silver IL'ite

Ya. i am taking skype classes and i am taking veena class for a 56-year-old woman. the only thing, you need is interest and motivation. Certainly, anyone can learn music at any age.

Sudha.

5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi shaila Music,
    I oppose what you have written about the quality of the voice. If people are really interested to learn music, they should go for it whether their voice is good or bad.Performing on the stage with good voice that is the different thing. You should understand MUSIC IS UNIVERSAL. Everywhere there is music, the roaring thunder is music, chirping is music.
    I know one old lady who is well trained in carnatic music. Her voice is not good, but she never cared about that. She teaches, she sings in temples and still learning new songs.
    Texture and quality of the voice is the gift of God. Some people have that and others don`t. But there is no restraint in learning out of one`s own interest.

6. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shaila music,
    What I am saying is we should not discourage the interested persons! What you are saying is how to make them perfect singers or professional singers. DO NOT COME TO CONCLUSION THAT I DO NOT KNOW ANY MUSIC.
    DO NOT THINK I HAD A BAD VOICE , SO I AM SUPPORTING THEM! I am not a teacher, but I sing carnatic vocal!
    Professionalism is not everything, just enjoying the process of learning and enjoying the music is very very important.

7. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

:bowdown There are not many takers for perfectionism in today's world, sadly.

8. subrabidha

subrabidha Silver IL'ite

It depends on the purpose. If the intention is to become a performing artist, certainly, texture of voice matters. However, if the purpose is to sing for the soul, bhakthi and bhava matters a lot than the voice.

Tukaram Maharaj stated this clearly in his Abhang : Bhave Gave Geeta"

9. thestylishmothe

thestylishmothe New IL'ite

I agree, any age can learn the beauty of music. If you really interested to learn then go for it. Grab it if you have still chance to learn for it. You can do it.

10. kethy111

kethy111 New IL'ite

I want to learn singing and learn its basic terms and conditions because I love singing and my voice is very beautiful and when I sing song in any place the mostly peoples thinking about me as singer and appreciate my voice also. So now I want to learn English songs and want to become a singer and sing songs in international level due to complete my aim I travel to England and stay for big time so if anyone suggest me about my aim I really like it.
    new years tours in new york
    new york new year tours

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013