1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Calling husband by name?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Huma, Apr 18, 2007.

1. creeper

creeper Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies..

Ours is love marriage.Before marriage I am used to call my DH with his name and and someother pet names.
    So right after our wedding day my MIL is searching for my DH and I found him talking to his relatives. As I am used to call him by name , I did the same to inform that my MIL is looking for him. All of his relatives including children gave me a LOOK ..it was such an embarassing situation, i feel like disappearing from there:hide: . After sometime when I am alone my SIL came and told me that no one in their family call their husbands with their names. I started calling him "Yevandi". In the starting it was soo hard to get into that line, but with some effort i succeded.
    I call him Yevandi before all others and i call him by name when we are alone.

bye
    creeper

2. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

How you call or address your husband is between your husband and you. I don't think any outsider including his parents/your parents/other relatives have no rights to interfere.

Mine is a love marriage and my inlaws are extremely conservative. But after my wedding I continue to address my husband with his shortened name and also nee vaa poo etc., which shocked my father inlaw and he made a comment in front of everybody that this is what happens in a love marriage what he meant was the husband doesn't get any respect...

What I did is just ignored his comment and continue the same way. One important thing here is husband's cooperation.. My hubby told his father that he loves the way I address him and his father shoould feel happy that I didn't address him b y his nameHarhar
    That ends all the commotion. Even today my inlaws are not fond of me for many things and the most is my guts. But I am the most cooperative,loving,compassionate daughter in law for them in every way which they openly acknowledge. As a family, i can mix with people with all honesty, love and compassion, but I can never give up my individuality...Women have to be strong willed to change the olden ways in the society. My husband always compliments my courage and bold stand on many issues in the family.

Love,
    GPriya

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear GPriya........

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

That was an honest post. May your tribe grow. As long as one is honest and doing the right thing, the false pretensions should be avoided. People must move with times.

L, Kamla

4. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Thanx Kamla..

As you know the trend setter always takes the heat...I took more than enuf but finally i came out as a winner..not bcos of my guts but bcos of my HONESTY.

I am married for 21 years and nowadays i see lots of young 20ish girls and guys talk too much but there is not enuf conviction to achieve things and that too with selfless honesty. I see too much of selfishness within my own family among my nieces and nephews and their spouse, they all make tons of money in IT in their 20s, but never cared about anybody but themselves. Though it is strange to me, I find those kids lack peace of mind in life irrespective of lot of money and career success!!!

Calling husband by name is just nothing when compared to the issues surrounding husband and wifeDrowning

Regards,
    GPriya

5. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi all
    I used to call my husband by his name....even infront of my in-laws. Though ours is a very traditional family, normally the old ppl never allow a wife to call her husband by his name. But my FIL used to say, u can call him by his name (afterall name is there to call a person) but i should say vaanga, Ponga instead of vaa / poo....
    But my huand told me that he will be very happy if i address him "enna, vaangonna...." - our traditional way of addressing husband. So I started calling him like that....even I like it very much...I feel very happy that i could do something which makes my husband happy :)

6. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Friends, what a nice topic ... ? Happy to read everyone's post here ... I call my hubby as 'Chellam' and he calls me the same way 'chellam' ... we both have never used our own names ... Even infront of everyone including elders, we call ourself as 'chellam' .. we decided this on the day of our marriage (ours was arranged marriage) ... my mom used to call my dad as 'daddy' ... We both never used our own names anywhere except chellam ... Regards, Suni ... :)

7. ranivasan

ranivasan Senior IL'ite

Hi Guys, Good topic.... Mine was arranged marriage but he is namboodri and me tamilian. Inlaws as they were in many parts of india they do speak tamil. No issues at all. Before we got married we dated for year and i was used to calling him by name. After marriage it continued and i was with them for few days b4 coming to SIngapore. My inlaws didn't like me calling him by name and mil came with story that his life will be shorter or whatever. I couldn't resist and told her. U mean to say people who don't call their husband's by name their guys live longer?? She is was so furious and complained to my parents and they said its my daughter's life let them do what they want.. why should u break your head. With all this my husband was being silent and one day he got agressive and said that.. don't why all of u going head over heals on she calling me by name. I wanted it that way.... there was silence and its has been that for the last 9 years. :)))

8. MrignayniBansal

MrignayniBansal Senior IL'ite

Hi all!
    Even I use to call my husband by name.

But my elder ones keeps telling me that by calling them by name the age of yr husband going to affect.:)

9. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

Hi Y'All...

First whn i met my husband i used to call him by name only. But later i shifted to "Chettan".We malayalees call our husband by this. And i just love it. :)

10. Mythu

Mythu New IL'ite

Hi All,

I call my husband by name. Ours is love marriage. My in-laws doesn't say anything about this. Even my husband wants me to call him by his name. And i love to call his name always :)

Mythri