1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Calling husband by name?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Huma, Apr 18, 2007.

1. padija

padija Senior IL'ite

ours was a love marriage, we used to work together, i was used to call him by his name, but after marriage i dunno i felt odd to call him by his name before his family, so after marriage i started calling him "ennanga, inga vaanga" like that when there are others, but still at home i call him by his name. so one day as i was talking to my mil i said his name and said "oh' and she said its ok theres nothing wrong....i was like :bowdown to my mil.

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Re: How to call husband?

That link you refrd to had too many posts .. So prefer writng in here.. As you read thru the posts its so much fun isnt? Mine is a love marg and I cal him by name. Bt my parents and relatives get so offended.. Actually I have a nick name for him and i cal him Sweetu ! This was since I was dating him.. I started calling the same infront of everyone and belev me everyone thinks we are soooooo muchh in love !!! ( We are for sure ! ) and he just loves it when I cal him so esp front of frens ! :banana
    So no enundhre or noku for me !!! :redface:

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies

Its really embarrasing to call our hubby as eenaa, inga paarungo or ennaga isnt it. If i try to call like that the voice will wil be so different and i myself cannot eecognise my voice. So far i cal him as ma or amma or emma. but when my mom was here for my delivery when i call ma, both my mom and hubby gets confused and sometimes both will turn up or sometimes neither turns up and each of them get confused whom i am calling:)
    But somehow i managed like calling him as ammu and my amma as amma ..confusing to read huh!!!!!!!!
    When we r alone, i call him using diff pet names watever comes in my mouth, even i did this when my mom was here.. :)
    Now, I am in a confusion how to call him when his parents are here...

[​IMG]
    I am in a confusion how to call him when his parents are here...

4. kailashwathi

kailashwathi New IL'ite

Re: How to call husband?

Felt nice to read your post.
    May you be so happy forever.

I too call my hubby by name but NOT IN FRONT OF HIS PARENTS. Just after marriage when I called him by name my MIL gave me a big lecture. She said would you call by name your dad or mom? So why HUSBAND!

Funny isnt itBig Laugh But you see she is my MIL so I just kept quiet. :hide:
    Though I call him by all fond names but NEVER in front of his Parents. Actually, he doesnt mind but I dont want to hear the same lecture again.

5. preetho

preetho New IL'ite

Hi all,

I call him by his name (Naveen). ours is a love marriage too........but before other relatives and friends, I call him "Pa".........like "Inge va pa" etc.........tat makes it more simple than "ennanga" etc.............i feel its very funny to call him "ennanga", becoz we' ve been hanging together for almost 8 years and ive not called him "ennanga", but by his name...........

thank god, my inlaws are very nice people and they dont mind me calling him anything.................

6. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Looks like this is a universal problem....Ours is a love marriage too, I'm from TamilNadu and my husband is from Uttar Pradesh. In his native place and among his relatives no wife calls husband, brother-in-law etc by name. My husband mentioned to me about this and told me to call him by his short name instead of using his full name. I used to call my younger brother-in-law by name for more than 2 years after we got married but suddenly my MIL one day stopped me to do so. She wanted me to call him "bhaiyyaji" as is the custom of their side (my co-sister calls my younger BIL like that). My husband suggested me to use my BIL's pet name and thats how I talk to him now. To the heights of everything, I was banned to use my father-in-law, mother-in-law names even to address someone having their names. My FIL name has "Shiv" in it so I can't call Lord Shiva as "Shiva", my husband protested against that. Even slokas that I chant can't have that name. But I started using it slowly nowadays, not in front of them though. By the way we are married for 7 years now. Sometimes I feel that these cultural differences are making us not to become close whereas all my friends are very close to their husbands because theirs is arranged marriage.

Thanks to IL forums, to create such an opportunity to discuss each others problems and get a mental consolation.

7. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

advitha.. thats ridiculous.. not even mention anything related to their name.. thats stupidity to the core!

I am sorry :( but I understand your frustrations.. Yep.. dont let it deceive you.. please chant slokas and others either in your heart or when no one around..

I am really surprised this is happening in a love marriage.. Wow..

8. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Interesting facts! No one bothers what I call my hubby or he calls me! And we have coined names for each other too! In the initial days of our marriage he started calling me Chokkie, some character from some movie he watched, and I started calling him Matthu, pumpkin faced! All started in good fun, and guess what _Try as much now, after almost 15 yrs. of marriage, WE CANNOT CALL EACH OTHER ANYTHING ELSE BUT THESE NAMES, EVEN WHILE FIGHTING! LOL..... I try very hard to call him his name while fighting, but I can never do so, its always Mathu!!! My inlaws, parents and all relatives are used to this, and its very normal for us to address these names in front of all, and it just passes of unnoticed!!!

9. dhivya rangarajan

dhivya rangarajan Bronze IL'ite

yeah....
    even i have a problem. I am getting married in May and during our affair, i.e., presently i call him by his pet name dat his parents use. Dat name only the whole world calls him with. After engagement my in-laws came to my house to talk abt d marriage events when i mentioned, "yeah, tinku also said so n so...." immidietly his mother, in front of everyone told, "in 20 years of marriage i never called my husbands name but now even before wedding u r calling him like this! its not for good. change it immidietly, i dont want to hear it" :hide: I felt so insulted but kept quiet.

Later i told him on fone - (he s in u.k and i ll also be leavin after marriage) dat ur mom said so, how shd i call u. He said wotever u wish u can call me. "If u want to please my mom do what she says in front of her. nyway we are going to leave in india in 7 days after d wedding. So u only shd know ur preference. Whether u want to please and satisy my mom or to save ur individuality."

Now i don kno wot i ll do.......Witsend

10. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

It was interesting to read everybody's post. I call my husband as "kanna" and he calls me "kutti" :) We have a lot of other pet names too :) We find it odd to address each other with our names and we rarely address each other with our names. The funny thing is that my husband as this habit of addressing everybody very respectfully. So even after marriage he would address me as "neenga vanga ponga". Finally my MIL told me it looks funny and he changed himself.

Thanks,
    Kavya.