1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Calling husband by name?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Huma, Apr 18, 2007.

1. SmilingGirl02

SmilingGirl02 Senior IL'ite

When I got engaged, my hubby told me to call him by name.For 7 months(from engagement to wedding), I called my hubby by his name.But right after my wedding, my mother in law scolded me for calling hubby with name.
    My hubby tried to explain his mother,but no use.As usual, MIL won.
    My hubby asked me not to call him by name.I felt very very bad.
    Both of sister in law, called their hubby with names even though they r 10 yrs older that me.And mother in law was saying proudly, that their son in law are not old fashioned...
    But still my hubby will never get agree, that what his mother did was wrong.:drowning

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

I don't know how this (name calling :)) is such a big deal really. For what it's worth, my wife never called me by name, always 'evandee' but she behaves as if she is America and I am some third world country on all matters domestic.... :)

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

We have names for calling right?

We say hubby and wife are equal in a marriage, then why we shy away from calling hubby's name in public?

Having said that, I used to call my husband with his short name, so is he. We have short names for each other to call, and the family knows it all.

Initially MIL objected, she said no one in their family called their husband by name (but only name callings it seems), then I said I belong to a different family and not hers.

My husband has issues whenever I call him by his name in front of in laws, so I avoided that because of him.. Later eventually he found that normal... so we are more casual than formal now

2 people like this.
  4. IndhuRamesh

IndhuRamesh Platinum IL'ite

I call my husband mama.. though he is not related to me. Its their region's tradition to call that.

5. kuttimma

kuttimma Bronze IL'ite

By calling dh using pet name or first name, we feel close. No need for any formality

6. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

marriage converts a wild animal into a domestic animal. How sad :-(

7. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

Re: calling husband by their name?

Is her past still bothering you Ram? You are a good man.. try to come out of the shell that is created and have a happy life. It is easy to say so but its better than spending your whole life like this.

8. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Interesting thread!!

My parents had a love marriage, they obviously called each other by their names when in college, then suddenly after they got married, mom started calling him 'aaho'( maharashtrian term to address husband).
    When me and my brother were in school, we stored one of dad's number as 'aaho' on mom's mobile, just to tease her!!

Nevertheless, I think it is very romantic to call one's husband by a special term!!

I am sooooo inspired by mahabharat right now, that i have decided to call my huband 'ARYA' when i get married:) , just like Gandhari!! It would give a vedic feeling to it too!!

9. sudhajay

sudhajay Silver IL'ite

How did i miss this thread?

Mine is love marriage. We are classmates and close friends.. I used to cal him as Jay and usually Dai, da and all...

On my marriage day, we were doing homam. My husband's friends came and he started talking to them then ayyar called my husband. he didn't hear. without my consciousness i called my DH as dai.. ayyar koopduraru paru.. thats it ayyar gave me dirty loook and i was confused why did he give that look and i didn't realize too..

then after marriage also i continued with jay and sometimes unconsciously da.. one day my MIL scolded my DH because of this. i started calling DH as ennanga.. even he doesn't like and asked me to call by his name he doesn't like because if i call him as ennanga.. he feels as if am calling someone else husband.. Since we are not living with MIL i used to call him as i wanted.. if i go to MIL's place then i used to call him as jay with full consciousness..

10. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

I dont understand why people has say even what a wife should call her husband...

Mine is love marriage, and i call him by name.. My parents are not comfortable
    with this, so are few of my relatives.. My mil may have issues, but she dint
    dare to tell me that... I dont care what others say..

I feel its between husband and wife, to call each other how they like..