1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Calling husband by name?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Huma, Apr 18, 2007.

1. CUTECINDY

CUTECINDY Senior IL'ite

i call him " my chella babbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy "

" my darling babbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy "

2. pulisimha

pulisimha New IL'ite

Re: How to call husband?

why are you shying away from calling your husband traditionally?
    in fact a wife should call her husband as prabhu or by the traditional generic as in tamil the wife should call her husband as Atthhaan!! but, hardly anybody calling like that maybe in bedroom some may be calling Atthhaan. They are shy of calling as Atthhaaan. May be they think it is sexy. that is my presumption.

calling her husband by name looks absurd and with no respect. These days a woman thinks calling their husband by name they are modern otherwise others will look down upon them. Are you people living for you or for others (the society)

Enjoy calling your husband as Atthhaan or whatever in your language and fell the difference it makes. in tamilnadu generally i have seen woman calling their husband (of course I can't know how they call when they are in bedroom) as ennanga. it is absurd because ennanga is generic word where anybody can call some person like that.

brahmin ladies call their husbands as anna this looks absurd as well.

These woman doesn't want others to know that they ar e husband and wife or what?

if a woman calls her husband atthhaan immediately everybody knows he is her husband.

1 person likes this.
  3. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

our relationship is still in "ye ji", "oo ji", "suno ji" era and im happy with it coz its not only me calling him like that he too adds ji after my name out of respect.

1 person likes this.
  4. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

lets give some life to this post and see how other ils call their partners.

I dont call my dh by name, not because of choice or restriction but it happened on its own. when we were courting, i used to tease him mangga (yes mango!!). and he too teased me the same and eventually we started to call each other mangga.
    in early days after our marriage, i will feel restricted to call him by that name, but now it is very normal for us. even my ILs or my family dont say anything. even in public places we call each other mangga and will get curious look from people. sometimes, i will short the name to just maa.
    i will feel strange if he calls me by my name.
    i have forgotten that mangga stands for mango, but mangga is our pet name.

my sister (4 years younger to me) newly wed is calling her husband ennage and yennge. i feel very funny because as a young couple they shud be calling each other by pet name. starting to call differently can be bit akward, after few weeks they will get used to it.

5. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

It is nothing wrong calling ones hubby by name. now a days it has become common and fashion too.

6. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

C.O.O.L thread - huge thanks to all the lovely posters who came forward boldly to share their special pet names for their other halves!

1 person likes this.
  7. mahiramki

mahiramki Gold IL'ite

Re: calling husband by their name?

hi
    my mom calls my dad "evandi"...
    I call my dh bujjii.. :D
    but that has got nothing to do with respect...
    its just out of love ....

8. rams1980

rams1980 New IL'ite

Re: calling husband by their name?

We are married for two years now and my wife always addressed me as 'evandi' from day 1 ever since we are engaged and also after marriage. Even before marriage when I called her, she always called me 'evandi, meeru, chheppandi... etc. I heard her saying my name only when somebody at her home tried to interrupt to her and she used to say, 'R' is on the call... etc. Even after marriage she continued to address me like that and only while referring me over the phone she used to take my name like... 'R' will be at home today... like wise. She never called me by name, even when my family or her family is around and even in private she calls me 'evandi'. Probably this could be ONE of the reasons she shares excellent rapport and very good relation with my mother. This is not the case with my brother's wife. Only on one occasion during the initial months of our married life, we had a very big fight once and in a fit of anger she called names ... orey, pora, #$#@#$#ga... etc for which which she said sorry after the storm cooled down a week later.

Today we have a big gap between us for other reasons. We still stay together, but the conversation is very little. I eat in the office canteen during the day and at night I just eat quietly whatever she prepared at home, cleanup and just go to bed, in the other bedroom or on the sofa.

9. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Silver IL'ite

I just remembered an incident that happened a few years ago when I was an entry level trainee at a company. We had organized a symposium and I was to be the Master of the ceremony (MC) for the closing day ceremony. I was planning to go it alone, when one of the organizers decided to pair me up with a female voice. Despite my heartfelt entreats to pair me up with this really cute trainer girl from the training academy, they decided they will instead ask a senior co-worker’s wife to render her sweet voice. In retrospect I think, if I had not overdone my pleas, they would have asked the trainer girl to do the MC, since she seemed to be the default choice before I blew it.

In any case, the lady (senior co-worker’s wife) was someone I knew already. A diminutive lady with a powerful presence. Well read. Had a master’s degree in science and was also pursuing an MBA. Always drives their 4WD by herself. Can talk at length about many things… We decided who will read what and rehearsed our parts.

During the actual ceremony, we alternated between us. She read. I read. Then there came a part where she had to announce the next speaker. She rushed to me and shoved her paper into my hands.

“You go read this”

“Why? It’s your part”

“Theriyum…aanaa neenga ponga” (I know. Doesn’t matter. You go)

“Ellaame kulambidum…aprom yaaru etha vaasikkurathunu kandupidikka mudiyaathu” (This will mix up everything. We won’t know who’s gonna read what, after that)

“Atha naan paathukkuren…neenga ponga” (I’ll take care of that. You go now)

And she literally pushed me in. As I stood there, overcoming the fluster, I started to read the part that she was supposed to read.

“[insert the usual MC drivel]. Mr.[Her husband’s name] will deliver his address”

It suddenly dawned upon me. After I went back I looked at her like “Really??Thats the whole friggin reason??” She must have understood.

With a blush, “Avar peyara naan solrathilleenga” .(I don't normally say his name)

I had too many questions. How is it even practically possible to never say his name. But I was already dazed enough.

That night I was on phone with my then gf and narrated this to her. She graciously told me this: “That’s ok. I don’t mind if you call me by my name after we are married”.

2 people like this.
  10. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

wow, i didnt expect reply from 2 men. and im wondering what ur wife calls u dovahkiin, by name or pet name?
    rams, sad to know about the gap between ur wife. dont let the gap to continue too long then both of u will get used to it and wont take initiative to patch up again. i have seen couples living together like a stranger.