1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all mothers with babies below 1 year....

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Aadhusmom, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Banu,

the syrup has 2mg of cyproheptadine per 5ml.the doctor told me to give him 3ml in the night daily.

The dose is fine. Is he sleepy during the day even if you give him the dose at night? If so then you can try giving half the dose for a week and then increasing it to the full dose. That may decrease the sleepiness a little.

. and regrading his diet,he gets around 8'o clock ,
    8.00 AM -cerelac,10.00 AM -idli (i have to forcefeed this)he will sleep from 10.30 to 11.30.then i fill BF him followed by nestum arounf 12.00 noon.around 1.30 i give rice and dal with some carrots,potato..this is also forcefeeding..he will sleep from 2 to 4 or 5 .then i give him cerelac again followed by biscuits and juice around 6.30..around 8.30 again rice and some veggies.he will sleep by 10.30.i will BF him from then.

please help me with the diet..after 4 spoons he starts turning hiis head.i have to force him. i need to increase his weight somehow.

Looking at his diet, it looks as if you are putting a lot of effort into feeding him and certainly you cannot increase the frequency much more than this. I guess the problem is one of quantity. Are you down to 2 BFs/day? Do you give cow's milk/formula in addition? Is he better at drinking milk? If so then you can give full-fat cows milk/formula/BF total of 4 times/day. Milk has more calories/proteins than juice so you can try substituting the evening juice with milk. Do you make Cerelac/Nestum with water or milk? Thickening that is another idea. Add ghee to rice; spread a little ghee on the idli. Have you tried adding rasam to the rice? Does that make him eat more? I find that in this weather Aadhu loves curd. Maybe you can try a little? Give him the cream/aadai part for maximum calories. I'll think abt it and see what else I can come up with.
    Dont give up - be cheerful. This is not your fault and it is not the end of the world.I hope the other moms here can come up with some more ideas...

Vanathi.

2. banusree

banusree New IL'ite

vanathi,

i will continue the dose as u suggested..and he doen not drink milk directly.i add it with nestum,biscuits and sometimes with idli. please let me know what is formula?i BF him 2-3 times a day.i will try ou the curd part while i already add rasam...will keep you posted.

looking for ideas from other mommies too.

regards,

banusree

3. shyamalashiva

shyamalashiva Senior IL'ite

4. shyamalashiva

Hi Banu,

Good luck to you and I havent come to that phase yet,.. so cant help sorry.

Shyamii

5. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

Hi mommies,Thanks for welcoming me..
    yes,Vanathi..she does smile..but she seems to be in her own little world...smiles for sometime looking elsewhere and then suddenly her expression changes to one of sadness..have heard that its normal behaviour.i hope its so..
    Im a dentist and am going to be off work for sometime ....
    We took Shrika to the doc yesterday as she was crying continuously for the past 2 nights and then yesterday her voice seemed to have changed..Doc says she has a soar throat and has given her infant paracetamol.
    Did any of your babies have soar throat this young?.Shrika is 7 weeks old.
    He told me that its viral and it would be a week before things are normal.She doesnt seem to enjoy her feeds.
    Is there anything I could do other than the paracetamol.Have any of you gone thru this?
    Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Sruthu

6. shyamalashiva

Hi all,

I havent got any reply from for this post..so i am posting again.. Pl come forward with your suggestions..

Suraabhi started sleeping thru the night when she was almost 4 months old..( She will sleep for 6 hours straight, then wake up, take a feed and sleep for another 2 hours.. now it is 3 hours).. But I always BF her to sleep.. even in the mornings for her naps .. And I keep reading that it is not good to feed and make her sleep and that she will not learn to sleep on her own..Our night time routine includes my husband telling her a story, a sponge bath and BFing her to sleep..

How do you all do it? And how to change this habbit..

Pl share in your experience..

Shyamii

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Shyamii....I used to BF Aadhu to sleep until 5/6 mnths and then he stopped going to sleep after feeding. I then switched to a cloth cradle to get him to sleep in the day and pat him to sleep with a song at night. So for me atleast I didnt break the habit - my son did! He still needs to BF to sleep when he wakes up at night sometimes. For night atleast i would suggest altering your routine so that the feed comes before the story/bath. Then you can try to get her to sleep by shushing/rocking/patting/singing etc. For daytime naps you will find that in a mnth or so feeding to sleep wont work anyway. Altering feeding schedules may be one way to break the habit right now. Of course its debatable whether you need to break the habit at all as the kids will break it off themselves at some point.
    Hope the others will give you some more pointers....

Vanathi.

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Sruthi - you could try a humidifier if she has a cold. Other things are saline nose drops before feeds and sleeping upright (car seat). Hope she is well soon.

Vanathi.

9. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Hi Shyamii
    I used to BF Aarya to sleep till 4 month. Than on her 4month appointment doctor suggested that we should change this habbit. we were thinking about how to break the habbit. We used to give her a bath and than I used to nurse her to feed. and this routine was there from 2months. But one day Aarya got really hungry before bath and started crying like anything. So, I fed her. She went to sleep immediatly and that day we thought that we shouldn't miss this opportuinity so that day we gave her a bath after feeding and than DH put her to sleep. It took 30 min. to him but in a week we were down to 10 min.
    So, in my case as well just like Vanathi, our baby guided us..And also with help of DH.

I hoe this helps...
    Meeta

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I wish Riya would guide us to this... last night, I gave her a bath, fed her, and she fussed and cried for two hours and by that time she was hungry I fed her again and she fell asleep. :-( I don't know what to do to get this girl to sleep on time, without getting fussy... I dread her sleep times now. Witsend She doesn't goes to sleep until 10:30 or 11 pm. And she doesn't even like to take naps now. :-(

Raj