1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Take the 100 Days Positivity Challenge : Join Here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Call Centre – Pick Up/Drop – R U SAFE???

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by malspie, Nov 22, 2007.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Call Centre – Pick Up/Drop – R U SAFE???
    The latest case of the BPO female staff being raped and murdered is no new tale. Does the company you work for take interest in your safety? You go through the grind to make a mark for yourself in the organization, you put in maximum hours of slog neglecting your family at times, is it worth?? Does the company in return take care of you?? Questions can be shot like comets but that’s not the solution. We need to find a permanent solution.
    Mumbai Mirror (daily newspaper) Correspondent gets in touch with the Transport Supervisor of Intelnet posing as a driver. He is assured of a job as a driver if he has a vehicle with papers intact and a driving license. This correspondent does not know to drive but manages to get a driving license from Shri Krishna Motor Training for a mere Rs. 1200. The license of another guy is forged with this correspondent’s photograph and Wow!! A license is ready. Now we have a man who does not know to drive with a driving license all set to PICK UP AND DROP STAFF FROM A LEADING ORGANIZATION CALLED INTELNET. The Transport Supervisor charges him Rs.5000/- for immediate appointment. He also suggests that if the correspondent has more than one vehicle he will engage them for pick up and drop as he is in this business for many years.
    The next day Mumbai Mirror Correspondent takes his FRIEND WHO KNOW TO DRIVE WITH HIM TO THE PICK UP POINTS to pick the staff. The staff does not question the driver or the correspondent about their identity though both are new to them. (THEY SHOULD HAVE). The same evening the correspondent and his friend drop them back.
    Point to be noted is the Correspondent is engaged for the job of a DRIVER though he does not know to drive. None of the officials in charge bothered to find out about his caliber.
    Another point to be noted is a stranger joins the Correspondent. Again nobody questions them.
    As the news flashed on the front page of the newspaper, BPO’s head started rattling on the issue. Dear friends, this is how the company manages the safety of its staff. Lakhs of young males and females are engaged in call centre jobs with shift routine. The company’s prima duty is to organize their picks and drops and keep a check on the activities of the contractor and his driver. The papers of the contract have to be in order and the driver has to give his test before he is engaged. There should be recommendation letter and cross checking of his experience is mandatory.
    Is it not alarming to know that a man who does not know to drive is engaged to pick you up and drop you back? Is it not shocking to know that he takes his friend with him for the job? Two new faces in a vehicle for a night shift pick/ drop or even day shift pick / drop is it safe…
    This post is to tell all my young friends to be alert of such situations and not to trust the organization for which they toil so blindly…. It’s our life and we have to guard it…
    Thank you friends for reading this post…

2. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Mals,

I just read this post today...almost a month after you posted it.

First and foremost, i am surprised that no one has responded to this post. I am not sure how many have viewed it.

Yes today, the employees are as much to be blamed as much as the employer. They just don't ask questions which atleast pertains to them bonk

Also one important thing i have noticed, they are so busy talking on the mobile phones all the time, that they are unaware about their surroundings. Also the type of conversation they have at times, can lead the drivers.

Even while walking on the road, if someone hits them and go also they are not bothered. Another is their dressing sense. While going to work were decent clothes that another dosen't get a chance to point fingers at them.

We are also an IT company. There is no dress code, but on the day of induction we put it in inverted commas, dress decently...so the other person gets the message. Still if the girls were revealing clothes then i have to tell them bluntly to change their wardrobe as they come and complain that boys are passing lewd remarks.

If you invite them to do so...its bound to happen.

In pune i have noticed that most of these orgn. hire indica. These incidents can be decreased if the orgn. hire mini bus, wherein they can accomodate more people and have some specific pick-up points so all meet together at one point. This way the drivers don't come to know their address...as i have seen drivers harassing girls by landing at their door steps too.

This is a very debatable topic...so i leave it here.

Roopa.

3. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the information Mals - although I do not work in such an environment, whenever I go back to India, I have heard that many women are working shifts and work late at night, etc. It is surprising to me that management is not taking a more proactive role is providing safety to its employees. I hope this is an eye opener for many women. Like Roopa says, they have to be aware of their surroundings. It is scary to think of some of these things happening in India.

4. presci

presci Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Today i read in rediffmail that bpo's are going to withdraw the faclility of pick up and drop due to cost factor. Din't go into details...
    Luv,
    Presci

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Roopa and Shobana for stepping in and making this dead post alive!!! The suggestion of a big bus is a good idea, but in cities like Delhi there are rape cases in buses also.... A monster will show his traits wherever he is!! What say friends?

Presci, it is not possible to terminate the pick /drop facility as Call Centre employees have bizzare working hours. I have seen employees being dropped at 3.00 in the morning. Sometimes at 1.00 P.M. There is constant of run of Jeeps and cars on the Mumbai and Navi Mumbai particularly in picking up and dropping these employees.