1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Calcium / Iron supplements

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by karanu, Jul 6, 2012.

1. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

My ped has asked me to start with calcium and iron supplements for my DD. Is this the common practice? I was taking calcium/iron supplements till my DD is 6 months old, after which I stopped.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@karanu was there a hamoglobin test for LO? My paed just suggested vitamin supplement. No calcium/iron supplement. I give dates regularly for LO. Since I BF, I take 3 glasses of milk daily. I keep an eye on her nail growth to check if Dd is getting enough calcium. I also take vitamins. Planning to take it till I BF.

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Karanu...
    I would like to share what my doctor told me about my Calcium Iron deficiency... She told me it is not good to take the supplements so I should aim to get it from my diet... and asked me to include Fresh leafy greens for iron and almond, sesame seeds, milk, curds liberally inmy diet and to walk in Sun so that I get my daily source of Vitamin -D which helps in absorption of Calcium...
    I dont know why doctors suggests supplements for tender babies...

4. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

@Ramya, no tests were taken for LO. I raised concerns with my ped regarding weight gain. She prescribed these supplements and even asked why I haven't started earlier. I've been giving her vitamin supplements since my DD was a month old.

@vjbunny I'm taking iron and calcium rich foods in my diet. I'll get a second opinion from another ped to check if these supplements are needed for my DD. I want to avoid external medications as much as possible.

5. ramyaramani

@karanu am surprised. I have heard of LO's being given iron supplements but not calcium supplements. Maybe you would like to check again with paed.

6. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

Me too! Surprised! My Paed doesnt even let me give him the vitamin supplements. It was advised by some other paed.. I am not even giving him the multivitamin syrup.

7. happyanjali

happyanjali Senior IL'ite

i didnt understand what you have asked.. did your doctor advice supplements for you or your DD??

if for the baby yes.. my Pead asked me to t give Zincovit drops till 6months for the baby. I gave for 3months only.

all Paeds these days ask to give as far as i know..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. ramyaramani

@happyanjali Supplements for the DD. Most of the paeds ask us to give multivitamin (including iron). But all paeds do not ask us to give calcium.

9. hydee

hydee Bronze IL'ite

Ladies my paed adviced me to give calcium supplements... And in the pharmacy i noticed 3 moms bought it ...... So i thought it is neccessary.. But still i dint start giving. Now I am totally confused.. Are they recommeding for the baby or for the pharmacy..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  10. ramyaramani

@hydee If your paed has advised you then you can give it.

Here is a link to an article that talks about calcium for babies:

Calcium Sources for Your Baby

1 person likes this.