1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Calcium - Do I Really Need to Take a Supplement?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by peytonbusch, Mar 22, 2010.

1. peytonbusch

peytonbusch New IL'ite

Should you take a calcium supplement or not? A research report published recently (2008) in the British Medical Journal suggested that if you are a woman well past menopause, and taking high quantities of calcium supplements, you may actually increase your risk of experiencing a heart attack or stroke.

The researchers proposed that it was the sudden increase in blood calcium levels from high doses of calcium that promoted atherosclerosis and increased risk of vascular events like heart attack or stroke. The participants in the study took a large dose of calcium (1g) in a highly absorbable form (calcium citrate is one of the easiest forms of calcium for your body to absorb).

The research has sparked some heated debate in the scientific community. This kind of debate is normal when contentious findings are published, but it may leave elderly women wondering whether they should continue to take their calcium supplement. And without a supplement, will their bones crumble?

Remember that bone structure is influenced by the amount of estrogen in your system, the amount of weight bearing exercise you undertake, your vitamin D status, your stress levels, and your calcium intake. Bone tissue is constantly being re-modelled in a healthy body; Special cells labour constantly to remove old bone tissue and replace it with new bone tissue. In osteoporosis the cells assigned to remove bone (osteoclasts) vastly outnumber the cells assigned to build bone (osteoblasts), resulting in a gradual decline in the total amount of bone tissue available to support your skeleton.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010

2. ayurgram

ayurgram New IL'ite

Women beginning at about age 40 should take calcium supplement if their foods doesn't contain sufficient calcium as estrogen level start dropping after this age. You'll be wonder that about 55% of the U.S. population aged 50 years and older has low bone density. Other factors like vaata body type, smoking, sedentary life style, drinking more than 25gm alcohol per day, over stressed liver, drinking more than 2 units of caffeine per day, clinically depressed reduces body calcium level.

3. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Peyton(I thing that is your name.sorry).
    I wanted to ask you that i am taking Potassium tablets.I have SJOGREMS SYNDROME.My GP advised me,i have to take six tablets everyday.500grams each. So i am asking you that, do i get any side effects in later stage?Please give me some advice.I will expect your Reply. thank you very much.see you again.Bye.

4. deepa1

deepa1 New IL'ite

Hi

I am 27 years old and have a 1 and half year old baby. From past 5 months
    my legs are aching. I am taking caltrate whenever i feel the pain is terrible. May i know what to do to decrease my pain.

Thanks
    deepa